Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on rebarreling a 308 to 243

Options
  • 26-02-2024 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've a Sako 85 in .308, fantastic rifle and super accurate,BUT.... I really like the 243 calibre!

I've a 243 rifle that is accurate too, but it's very heavy and I'm not mad about it (especially compared to the Sako).

If I had the money I'd trade the 243 in for a Sako in 243, but then not sure I'd shoot the 308 anymore!

So, I have it in my head, that I could rebarrel the 308 to a 243 and part exchange my old 243 rifle for something else, but I'm not sure if:

1- Is it just a barrel swap to make the 308 become a 243 and if so, can I do that myself? # I know I'd have to do a substitution!

2- Any idea if I can get a barrel from sako or would I go with an aftermarket barrel (both options through an RFD).

3- Could I legally (bear with me) get a 243 barrel (as I have a license for a 243). Then put in for a substitution of the 308 to a 243, then once it's granted swap the barrel?

4- Have I lost the plot?

Looking forward to words of wisdom and will take rational feedback too!

TIA

Post edited by keith s on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

1 - Yes, the only thing needed would be a barrel swap, and headspace check(easily done with gauges). Whether you can do so yourself I dunno, I'd suggest looking at Sako 85 barrel swap videos and seeing how complicated it is to replace the barrel.

2 - Don't know if Sako sell just their barrels, but Lothar Walther in Germany would probably make a replacement.

3 - No. Your 243 licence covers you for that firearm only, not a 243 barrel for any firearm. You would have to either sub the Sako 308 for a 243, store it with a dealer, then get them to remove the 308 barrel and either you or the dealer install the new 243 barrel, then collect it when the licence comes through. Licence has to come first.

4 - Probably 😁

My advice would be to look at 243 Sako rifles currently available and see if you could get one that is already the caliber you want, potentially a newer model even. A barrel swap would be doable but you would likely lose money compared to selling the 308 Sako and 243 and getting another Sako in 243.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1. Yes. If you can do it, depends on what you are like with those things, and tools you have available.
    2. Sako have discontinued the 85. But barrel manufacturers say that Tilla profit barrels will fit a Sako 85. So easy to pick one of those up.
    3. No. As @otmmyboy2 described, the license covers a spare barrel for a firearm not any barrel. The only caveat to that is, if you’ve .243 was a Tikka, then the spare barrel would be cover until you subbed.
    4. Probably. Will you ever shoot the heavy .243 after swapping? Prob not. Do it first look at taking the cost of a new barrel, plus value if the heavy .243. And see how close that gets you to a .243 Finnlight or 85

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

1- Is it just a barrel swap to make the 308 become a 243 and if so, can I do that myself? # I know I'd have to do a substitution!

Yes and no.243,308 are compatible in actions and bolt face. Strongly advise getting a gunsmith who knows what he is doing to do the re-barrel. Those barrels are TIGHT and you need the proper tools to do this.

2- Any idea if I can get a barrel from Sako or would I go with an aftermarket barrel (both options through an RFD).

Lothar Walther sells barrel blanks, not ready-made to a brand barrels ASFIK.So Your GS will have to cut, chamber and headspace the barrel to your action, and that opens another tin of worms. As it's an unproofed barrel, you won't be able to legally sell it to anyone, ever in the EU. As this is a total GS job of changing the calibre and re-barrelling, it needs to be proofed by some recognised EU-proof house. This would even apply to changing a Sako barrel for another different cal Sako barrel.

Plus will your now rebarrelled action in 308 from 243 shoot as accurately? Things like barrel harmonics, torque settings, barrel reseating heat and heat dissipation all come into play to start changing how the gun will group under different circumstances. It's not like swapping out an engine part in a car, where you just want the engine to run and drive you down the road.More like working on a dragster engine where you need a certain amount of power delivered precisely when,if that makes sense.

4- Have I lost the plot?

If you have money to burn, anything is possible. But by the time you have done this here,you are probably into the price of a new rifle that can do a multi-caliber feature from the factory straight off. SAKO does such a rifle I think.The Sako quad?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭keith s

Thanks a million lads.. Answered my questions and gave me food for thought!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

if I were you I’d just trade your.308 in for whichever.243 takes your fancy,it will definitely be cheaper and less hassle than getting a gunsmith to source the barrel and fit it ect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement