Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beams of light over west coast.

Options
  • 26-02-2024 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi, I think this might be the right forum for this.

I was driving this morning towards Kerry. I was just after coming on the new Macroom by pass early this morning when i saw 3 to 4 very powerful bright beams of light over the horizon to the west. This only lasted for about 2 seconds . They were all at different angles and to my eye they appeared to come from the ground up. The best way to describe them would light sabres. Never seen anything like this before. I am on that road regularly.

Unless it was Shannon Airport testing some sort of lights which would have been in that general direction.

This was approx 5am this morning and still dark. skies were a mixture of clear and cloudy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Curious myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Northern Lights maybe, seen them earlier in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Maxx355

Thanks for reply, possibly that ok, although it was from the west not the north whether that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Question for you - were the clouds lit by the beams, or were they like shadows in front of the beams?

If for example someone was testing a set of floodlights by shining them into the sky before installation, they would light up the underside of the clouds. If the light was something in the atmosphere then the clouds would be darker shadows in front of the scattered light.

The main photo on this page is a great pic with clouds lit by light pollution from underneath, and shadowing the northern lights a few hundred km behind the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Maxx355

Hi, it was'nt like the picture you have shown. They were more like light beams you might see at a rock concert or what a searchlight would look like. The light from them were very bright and powerful, the beams had straight lines. They were coming in the direction of due west, 3 to 4 beams in the space of 2 to 3 seconds and then they were gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement