Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapping smart meter plans to my HFD energy consumption ?

Options
  • 24-02-2024 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come up with an Excel sheet method to work out how much a Smart Meter plan would charge by using the HDF downloads available from ESB Networks?

I'm currently on the fence about switching to Smart Meter, but I reckon it should be possible to 'see' what the various Smart Plans would cost by using historical consumption data available from ESB Networks.

Thanks, and sorry if this is an commonly asked question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I did some calculations based on my digital meter readings over 11year period. Perhaps you could create your own based on HDF. Somehow cant locate the file now, perhaps on other computer or lost.

See if it helps

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120096271/#Comment_120096271

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Thanks Smuggler, yes that helps a bit, interesting to read the discussion.

I reckon I'll do nested 'If-Then' formulas on each line of the HDF statement , 'If hours between X & Y then charge Z etc'... that should show the price charges for that 30 min period, then just copy it down for the full report to get the price for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Or alternatively sumifs to add up the usage for the three time periods, you then end up with 3 values to extract to a different sheet and play with adjustments to when you use energy, instead of a long column of values associated with your HDF file.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This is probably what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Thanks Alun, Here's mine:) Not sure what to make of it yet..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The red areas are the ones to watch really. Mine looks quite different with red areas only around 6-7pm (cooking dinner), 11pm onwards (car charging) and 4-5am (dishwasher running).

The first tab with all the energy providers listed also takes the uploaded HDF file consumption values into account and will give you the best tariff for your current usage.

After running the analysis it seems that Flat Rate vs EV Smart Meter plan from Bord Gas come out almost exactly the same price for our usage profile. And that's before we get an EV. Yes the peak rate is a killer, but we get benefit of lower rates from 11pm to 8am where the water heater comes on. So it seems like they have done their homework, at least for my usage profile any. But I'll wait for the EV before switching to a smart plan.

Advertisement