Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New two-way cycle lane from George's Quay to O’Connell Bridge in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Shame that you effectively have no way of turning right from Westmoreland Street onto the two way cycle track, without going via the pedestrian crossings.

Other than that it's looking like quite the promising scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think it's just the constraints at that pinch point. You'd have to reduce the footpath width on the O'Connell bridge side and it's always thronged with people so I don't think that's realistic.

I think the only "safe" way to get to the cycle path is to cross the bridge and do a U-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Surprised this is still happening. I would have thought they'd just wait till the quays car ban came into effect and build a proper 2 way liffey cycle route on the north quays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Yep that seems to be the case, which is fair enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This is just a segment of Liffey Cycle Route, it's not a new scheme.

The work is proceeding rapidly. I'm pleased to see the awful sunken section of riverside footpath at Burgh Quay has been reconstructed to remove the low-lying sections which are always full of water and rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

That section and the section completely obstructed by a tree further back near the junction with Tara Street have always struck me as some of the most shamefully poor pieces of public realm in Dublin. Great to see them being improved, at least slightly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes, the trees completely blocked the footpath (or rather, the footpath was probably narrowed too much).

The same issue was found further east but was rectified with the opening of the Rosie Hackett bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭loco_scolo

Looking great!!!

It looks nice, but I think I can see a gutter right up next to the wall. In the case of heavy rain How will we know if water flowing into that will have anywhere to escape to? Is there a hole in the wall, that lets the water out to the river?

Advertisement