Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How realistic is it to find a studio apartment for around 1000 Euros per month?

Options
  • 22-02-2024 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, how realistic is it to find a studio apartment for around 1000 Euros or maybe 1300 per month in Dublin?

I mean a self contained unit, with at least a small kitchen, a washing machine and a bathroom with at least a shower and a toilet? And that in a halfway decent area, a bit of grocery shops and a LUAS within some form of walking distance?

Is this all totally unrealistic?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I bought a house in Winnipeg late 2022. My mortgage is about $1800 CAD (including insurance) with is about $1200. Rent in Dublin is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You wouldn’t get one in Ballina for that unfortunately.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah but Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole, to quote my favourite Winnipegean.

In all honesty, I quite like Winnipeg and agree renting in Dublin is absolutely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not completely, but they are rare, very rare. They will be semi self contained units or granny flats and the max rent they can be (for tax purposes) is about €1200 per month.

Ah yes. Good ol' Aaron Funk, aka Venetian Snares. Met him at a small gig here. He got a bit annoyed at my buddy for talking to his lady. Lol. Good night that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I think you're looking at something like a granny flat for that money. This one looks very nice, it's in a good area near good transport links.

It's 1400 but all bills included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You want a toilet AND a shower? For 1300 a month?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i've never been but spent a couple of years in calgary and my winnipegian friends thought calgary was a cosmopolitan paradise compared to it, and someone it's even colder than calgary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Just go on daft and put in 1000 as the max and Dublin as the area (ignore the student and room in house ones), you’ll see what’s there. Competition is fierce though.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/dublin?rentalPrice_to=1000

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Accommodation & Property.

Local charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

That's great, but it's not really relevant, the price and mortgage on a house in Poland is also cheap. Are you including Property taxes in the price? how much is a 1 bed apartment to rent there? $1,500?

The average price of a house in Canada is over 650k, in Winnipeg, it is about 350k.

You could get a 1 bed apartment in many places in Ireland for under 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭xyz13

Friend lives off Dorset Street (D7) and pays €800. Forks out a good €200 in electricity bill during winter down to greedy landlord controlling the central heating.

Petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Thanks for the comments. I sometimes find small studios in Dublin for around 1300 to 1500, but not certain if the adds are fake or not. I sometimes think some adds on Daft.ie are fake ones, but it's possible they are being let within one hour or so? I was so far never certain.

I have a job in Dublin but wondering every day if I should quit, just because of housing issues. And shared accommodation isn't a good choice either. It works for 3 months, then everyone argues over something, one has never privacy as well, can't really invite friends, can't cook when one wants, and has to deal with different understandings of hygiene of co-habitants.

And yes, I've lived in Canada, through 5 strong winters, sometimes experiencing minus 30 degrees. However the good thing is Canada is prepared for that and that makes it a lot more bearable, plus it's a dry cold.

Winnipeg, or places like Saskatoon are nice choices, also Edmonton is rather affordable, and closer to the Rockies, even with direct flights to Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP, 1300 is not a big budget for a self contained rental in Dublin. Throw in close to Luas and nice area etc., and you are looking at a very small number of possible options. Even if you find some options that meet your criteria, there will be lots of competition, and unless you have a grade A tenant record, job and finances, you might not even get a viewing. I think you need to be more open to more areas and maybe a bit further out from the city. You might also need to consider sharing. I know thats not the message you want, but its tough even with a higher budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that if I look further away from the city things don't get better. Yes, prices go down a bit, but it's also more remote, the commute more expensive and further away they would still be overpriced, even if the prices are lower.

I am more considering leaving Dublin and Ireland all together. Too many greedy landlords around, and too much of the Irish attitude "it's happening everywhere else as well". Which is luckily not, even London or Paris offer cheaper options than Dublin in terms of renting.

I reckon the problem is not that there are too many greedy landlords, its that there are not enough greedy landlords. More rental properties is what we need to bring prices down. Hope you get sorted with somewhere that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

these rentals are rare but they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You could probably get a one room converted studio around Rathmines for €1k to €1200. You would get own bathroom but not own washing machine. Depending on the part of Rathmines you could have up toa 10 minute walk to the Luas. To get your own washing machine you are into purpose built at North of €1500.

Demand is keen for all accommodation in these locations at those price points so you would need to be on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think it is simple your price point is too low to find such a place, There are probably people renting at that point for what you want due to RPZ. Those giving them up are likely going to offer it to a friend and they never go to the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hardly a 'greedy landlord' is he's giving him a studio apartment for €800 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

A friend just moved out of a room in a house in Lusk yesterday, which was actually 2 rooms on the end of the house converted to a 1 bed apartment with its own entrance and with washing machine, fridge, cooker and bathroom. He was paying €1150 per month including heating, electricity and broadband. I assume for it to qualify for the rent a room scheme.

Keep an eye out for it on daft or wherever over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 garrett b

Bring back bedsits. I lived in them for years, cheap and central (Dublin) and had everything you required in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

The problem with finding good deals on rentals is that you must consider at least 2 dimensions: 1 is obviously rent; 2 is how much time you have to find a place.

It's possible to find a good deal on a rental if you are already in safe accommodation with no pressure to move out soon. You can then set up an alert on Daft and track various Facebook groups to see if an appropriate place comes up that may have been caught up in an RPZ limited yearly increases and is in the desired price range.

It can take months and months of looking though as renters understandably are very unlikely to leave such a rental willingly unless they just bought their own place or are immigrating. And even in those cases they often find friends who will try to take their cheaper rental over.

If you don't have a place to be able to wait months and need something relatively urgently, say in 1-2 months time it's highly unlikely unless you get extremely lucky.

I heard most rentals are going on facebook nowadays that are available. What groups would they be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭xyz13

If you see how unkept the common areas are you won't think so highly of Mr. landlord! Besides, you cant have 2 people walking around, it's a struggle to find space to put clothes horse in.

€800 for a glorified box room with kitchenette. The whole space (including bathroom) is half the size of my bedroom.

Anyways, I dealt with this particular landlord on a property nearby, same issues with heating control. 1 bedroom dump"flat" in the same building is going for €1400.

Petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

You should become a landlord yourself to show all the greedy landlords how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

What would you consider fair price 600 eur per month right? So the landlord gets after paying tax and sundry about 300 eur. 300 eur to deal to pay for the asset, to maintain it and deal with all the regulations and many rude tenants. Would you do it for 300 eur??

Living the life

• Advertisement

Dont forget the tenant may decide one day not to pay and will be supported in that by the authorities so you you cant even count on that €300.

Advertisement