Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland L'Etape September 2024

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭this.lad

I don't know the cost of the etape in France. But this is crazy stuff.

We are always getting shafted here. The gran fondo stelvio is €100 including actual closed roads, an actual proper world tour climb/route, timing, mechanical assistance etc.

In Italy TCR Advanced Pro 1 Di2 4.799 €

in Ireland TCR Advanced Pro 1 Di2 €5,599

Are we suckers or do they just think we are?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The ROK is 100 and along with the WW200, probably the most expensive 'sportive' in the country. I'd imagine the TDF/ASO licensing didn't come cheap, and they may be expecting a fair few cycling tourists to travel for it. The l'etape in France this year, doing the 2nd last stage from Nice starts at €149.

I'm already down for the ROK, so was unlikely to do this, but at that price its a definite no. Will probably do the gran fondo in Sligo instead, seems far more reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

People are entitled to spend their €€€ on whatever they want; some folk spend €700 or more to watch/listen to Taylor Swift yodelling from 100 yards away--- I'd be hoping for a fair bit more action at that price. But similarly, to cycle around bumpy, shyte roads in the rain in Kerry, with a dinner beforehand and a bowl of pasta afterward with some retired pro, ain't appealing to me. It never ceases to amaze me how gullible Irish people are when it comes to this stuff-- it's terribly bad value when you compare what many of the equivalent European sportive events are like. We seem to embrace the fact that we are being 'rode' with these costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I've done the Maratona Dles Dolomites twice, I think it was 100 euro or thereabouts. For that you got closed roads, amazing goodie bag, a high end castelli climbers jersey and shorts which were probably worth more than the entry.

Amazing experience and I was left thinking how it was commercially viable given it felt like amazing value.

This on the other hand feels like the opposite of amazing value. Personally in September I'll be doing the Alberto Contador Gran Fondo in Spain in beautiful weather, lovely closed roads and all for 65 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sorry Killarney, but L'tape Ireland was never going to compete with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFSDovGTZI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Overpriced in every way and hotel and b&b operators will ride you again to stay anywhere near killarney, I'd prefer to give my money to the local sportive somewhere that donates to local cancer support and such instead of a private company that does this for profit, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Could always give the guys in West Clare CC your vote and try the West Clare Challenge?The long route is a ride around the Loop Head peninsula. On a day of good weather its a nice part of the world to cycle around. And its to support a local mental health initiative and development of a CX/XC facility - I'm sure they'll be grateful for the support after the Etape was dropped in on their weekend in the CI calendar.

https://www.westclarechallenge.ie

Date is being changed for west clare challenge so looks like sat 31st Aug so that it won't clash with any other sportive in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

hmm... website not updated and registration links to 2023 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I got an email a few days ago and I was taken aback by the prices. Maybe it costs that much to put on the event, but it’s a bit too rich for my liking. I Remember when the Wicklow 200 went up to 42 euro and thinking « that’s a bit steep ».

I must be turning into a grumpy old man that goes around saying things like « you could three pints and twenty major for a fiver when I was young « 

👨‍🦳😠

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 otnemem

So Elite Events were able to get closed (or partially closed) roads for this but aren't able to get the same for the Wicklow 200 which they claim to be Ireland's premiere cycling sportive. Maybe they'll move the crown further west.

I guess it remains to be seen, but for a hilly sportive even the cheapest package seems expensive. Unless they make those refuel stations pop and keep the open roads to a bare minimum. But considering the amount of 15K€ bikes you'll see there, it's all a matter of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

As someone else said, book accommodation on a different weekend or mid week and go down and cycle empty roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

And that is the beauty of having a choice. Loads of people will pay the price and have a great day and anyone (like me) can go do the route without the fanfare whenever they like.

I think it's a bit too expensive for me so I won't go but good luck to anyone who wants the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I'm in, I don't do a load of sportives so I don't mind paying a bit more for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It never ceases to amaze me that “goodie-bags » are included in these things.

like haven’t we all enough Sh!te filling up our houses without another bag of Sh!te

Yea decision was taken only recently to change date after being ambushed by the etape so waiting on website and CI calender to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Each to their own - I decided it's not for me. If I was going to do an L'Etape, I'd want to do the actual Tour one. But I can also see why people like a big event, something to focus on, closed roads etc. And yes, the "goodie bag" too - I don't do too many big events, but tend to use the t shirts, and other bits I've got. Quite often it's food/ drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

'Mostly empty roads' would be off-putting for a lot of cyclists. Sharing a route with hundreds of others provides a motivating factor for many cyclists, particularly those who would never get around on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Is this a race or a Sportive? It’s down as both

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if its got a start and a finish line ,.................

at least at the front 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Two photos from the second route, pretty rough route but great day out, although Strava says I was never there 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I.e your standard Irish sportive 😂😂 - I’ve never seen one as fast as the Ray Crinion in trim a few weeks ago! Averaged just north of 42km/h!!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Around 11km on the "pretty brutal kingdom" route, a little link route from the Kenamre river across to the Caha Pass climb. Steepish in places

Advertisement