Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Usage of Electricity

Options
  • 21-02-2024 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, I currently use 1400kw of electricity a year. I have no tumble dryer or dish washer or underfloor heating. I got external wrap abound done on the house and a new boiler and attic installation. I live alone with my son who has a permanent disability. I would like when I have the extra money to get the dryer and dishwasher and other household appliances. Has anyone got solar panels that has this type of usage? I am south facing so have good sun for the panels. My bills are around €80 a month including vat. I have other grown up kids that live away and am thinking about them if I leave them the house. Will the solar panels get cheaper in a few years or do ye expect it to get more expensive? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Yeah, we'd use 2800kWh a year which is low, but nothing as low as you. And we've solar for 18 months. Can't recommend it strongly enough. At the moment you get paid 20c per kWh you export to the grid (called FIT = feed in tariff). So with your usage, you wouldn't have an energy bill depending on the size of solar you got. Or it would be embarrassingly low - if there is such a thing! Energy providers credit the account periodically (frequency depends on the energy provider). 

Of the €80 a month you pay now, only ~€35 of that is for the 116kWh you use a month. Rest is standing charges, vat... FIT would offset those costs.

Have a look at the quotes page to get a sense of costs. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058329045/domestic-solar-pv-quotes-2024-no-pm-requests-see-mod-note-post-1#latest

A South facing roof produces the most. Lucky you.

No guarantee that FIT will remain and the price can drop. But at the same time, if and when it does drop in price, you can send excess solar to other places in the house to 'suck it up' (immersion, electric rad in spring + autumn when not cold enough for full heating, or might get a check EV for local trips which solar can charge). That's not for now, but means there are options in time if needed. 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My advice would be to cover the roof with as many panels as you can afford, you'll end up reducing your bills to zero and possibly to a negative value because you'll be exporting a lot to the grid and getting paid for it

There's always talk of them getting cheaper, but the installation costs always seem to go up so I think prices will stay where they are

Best recommendation would be to talk to a few installers and look at the quotes thread to get an idea of costs. This'll give you an idea of what you can save towards

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement