Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percolation - land character

Options
  • 21-02-2024 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, has anyone who has been through percolation testing looked at the characteristics of the land on which the percolation test was carried out? The reason I ask as that the site we hope to carry out percolation on appears to have have bedrock across a section of it - not the whole site. This is visable via public maps online. Will bedrock limit the soils ability to percolate the water? Have limited knowledge in this area so my question may be moot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Possibly, but you can't quantity anything unless you've had representative tests done.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The percolation test takes account of all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StrandUtd

The first thing considered in a site suitability assessment for a percolation area is the type of soils/subsoils present and their thicknesses... if there's suspected bedrock outcrop on your site then that's a problem, you can't locate a percolation area within bedrock, you need a certain thickness of subsoils over bedrock to 'percolate' through.

The Geological Survey maps available online are guideline only, they might not be correct on a local level. I suggest you confirm the depth to bedrock across your site, easily done with a shovel or mini-digger. Maybe there are areas with thicker subsoils that might be suitable? There are also options for raised percolation areas/beds above ground level if the subsoils are very thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zelaouz

Many thanks StandardUtd.

Advertisement