Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Travelling To UK With Cash To Buy Car

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

dying to know what car it is!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

convert euro to sterling.
    then send the sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

100%. And make sure to convert it during business hours for the best rate. Might be worth your while upgrading to Revolut Premium too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

And remember there is a 14 day cooling off period for premium, so if you decide after 13 days you don't like it, you can just cancel it.

The reason for getting premium is they charge a 1% fee for any exchange over 1000 on a standard account (so if you changed €15k, you'd be liable for this fee on €14k, so €140). You only need to have premium for the conversion of euro to sterling (or if you have to convert it back)

I was surprised when I bought our car that I offered the dealer a bank transfer or a card payment and he said card payment, I would have thought it was much higher fees on a card payment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have used it to pay for cars in the past and once you have the buyers details in advance and setup as a payee on the app, you can have the payment in his account in the time it takes them to log into their internet banking app. I did upgrade to Revolut premium though and it was suggested that I did at the time, would be worth doing the same I think. As said above, I would also recommend you convert to sterling during business hours to get a decent rate, when your dealing with 1000's even a cent increase or decrease makes a huge difference..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Any option to buy similar up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

I've bought two cars up north and [paid using transferwise both times. Payment processed in less than 5 minutes both times.

As did I over the years,tbh I'd much prefer that than to travelling to the UK to purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ian123

My experience today is that a large transfer voa revolut is NOT immediate or even within 20mins. Sitting here waiting for some indication from Revolut and all its saying is "leaving for recipients" bank... not.impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I hope the OP has checked whether there is finance on the car. I have bought cars in the UK twice and in both cases discovered there was finance on the car with the sellers both sort of going 'oh, why should that be a problem, I was going to pay off the finance?'

In one of those deals, I went over with a small amount in stirling cash, and an AIB bank Cheque in £ made out to the finance company. The seller and I went to AIB's partner bank in the UK where I asked if they could connfirm the legitimacy of the bank draft to the seller. They did the computer thing, then told the seller the draft was genuine, so with him being happy I bought a stamp put the cheque and pre prepared covering letter into the pre prepared envelope and he watched me post it, then I handed him the cash, he gave me the keys and signed a pre-prepared receipt, and I drove to the ferry port.

• Advertisement

Seems like a lot of hassle. I did similar but the seller just paid off the finance on his laptop in front of me immediately after I transferred the money.

Should have sent the payment in small increments. €5,000 each transfer etc.

First time I did it, your man drove the car down to Dublin for me. He arrived at the house, checked everything was alright, then gave him a lift into Connolly to get the train back up to Belfast. Best service I've ever received.

Second time, a different dealership, he wasn't even gonna open the place on a Saturday for me to collect it. He changed his mind when I said I couldn't make it during the week, so I'd have to cancel the order. Imagine being too lazy to show up on a Saturday morning for £15k+

Imagine being so entitled that you expect a private business owner to change their opening hours and travel to work on their day off just to accommodate you instead of spending their time off with friends and family.

You want me to buy your car? You want me to take 6hrs out of my day to come visit your premises, spending time away from my family and friends? On the day Ireland are playing a rugby world cup match, no less, which is the real reason he didn't wanna open on a Saturday? Then you're gonna have to meet me half way at least, pal.

https://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/hyundai/contact-us/hyundai-dundonald

Here's their website, open from 9am-3pm on Saturday. What was that about changing their opening hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

the fees can be as low as 0.3% fir processing a debit card so is generally preferred in the U.K. for large transactions.

Too much money the bollox

Advertisement