Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Check on new build before pulling the trigger

Options
  • 20-02-2024 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? about €3,500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and general use, nothing processor heavy

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Nope

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? Nope

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 5120 x 1440 CRG9 but will probably change to a 35+ inch 4k OLED when they release later this year.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Mild overclocking, a few small tweaks.

8. How can you pay? Card

9. When are you purchasing? This week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?Nope

Spec here: Rushey - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

Just about to buy the part for a new build. Pretty happy with my parts. Just a welcome a few thoughts:

1) Torn on the 7900 xtx vs 4080 Super but I don't play games for super high FPS at the cost of quality so will allways max out setting with RT. From what I can tell the 4080 is much better here vs pure rasterization.

2) Was going to go for the 7950x3d but seems to be zero benefit unless your doing serious productivity work.

3) Is that RAM a bit much for the 7800x3d? Don't mind the price but I know the match with CPU can be important.

4) At the moment the best prices I see are Caseking & Amazon.de, any others worth checking that don't show up on PCPartPicker?

5) Also a bit torn between this case and the O11 vision?

Thanks

Post edited by Robertr on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Robertr

any value in getting a PCIE 5 SSD?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's still early days for them, they're expensive, they run hot and will need cooling in one way or another. They're fast, but not to a point where you'd notice. Get a PCIe 4.0 one for now and look at getting a PCIe 5.0 one in a year or so once they've matured.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

If you're spending that much and gaming is your main priority I'd be looking to pick up a 4090 by trimming some of the other components

That CPU cooler is way over the top for a 7800X3D. Likewise 64GB of RAM & a 1200W PSU are unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ok, yeah, get the point on 4090 but don’t want to compromise too much on quality of parts, overall aesthetic or upgrade roadmap. Will try to save on a few components and stretch to the 4090

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean by "compromise on quality of parts".

You're overspeccing on RGB bling which performs worse than plain black fans.

1200W PSU is for serial overclockers using nitrous oxide. Even the HX1000 I put in is complete overkill, you could drop it down to a good 850W Gold unit and it wouldn't skip a beat.

Horses for courses but I like to be able to look over at the machine I built and actually like the look of it. I get some people are more into pure performance and just put it under the desk but for me thats a factor. Also good to have some confidence in Agree on the PSU and other components. I have scaled it back and will probably get a 4090. I would also have some concern with the likes of Lexar at the higher end of the market.

There's only 3 companies who actually make RAM: Micron (Crucial), Samsung, and SK Hynix. All the other vendors just buy the chips from them, bin them, then slap on heatsinks & arbitrary markup.

Unless you're going to do heavy overclocking, just buy by rated specs.

Advertisement