Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never been on a holiday to Turkey. Should we try it ?

Options
  • 20-02-2024 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Always sort of avoided it for unknown reasons, maybe associated it with tacky hotels, but having seen a recent article, it appears maybe we have been missing out on cheap luxury....

However, my mind is open to the idea now and no kids to worry about.

Can anyone offer any experiences of going?

Where to go, luxury hotels, or any other advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Oh without a doubt go. Ive been to Turkey a few times, last September went to Fethiye. Beautiful beautiful pace, no tacky resort crap, a lovely working Turkish city on the coast, was definitely the nicest pace I've been to within the typical 4, 4 and half hour flights from Dublin. PM me if you want any details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Depends what exactly you're looking for op Istanbul is a great city and we'll worth a few days there. Plenty of fine hotels.

Turkey has lots of beautiful beaches and very easy to stay away from the few tacky resorts.

I found lots of fine hotels near Antalya, well worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

We went to Long Beach Hotel about 1.5h from Antalya in 2022. Great hotel for a family. We loved it.

Return flight was through Istanbul, due to bad weather we missed our connecting flight. Turkish Airlines sorted the accommodation for us and we had an extra day in Istanbul. Worked out really great.

Cons: Russians. Lets just say they're not that well behaved as us westerners. Our hotel was like 5star so the guests were ok, but i heard in the 3 star all-inclusive hotels, they're quite aggressive.

Would i come back? Oh yes, it was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Istanbul is a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Any even more Russians now since the restrictions on them in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭bikermartin

It's like having your dream vacation all set up for you, no fuss or worries. Just make sure to pick a spot with awesome reviews and tons of fun activities to keep you entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I wouldn't be so sure. We went in 2022 when EU restrictions were already in place and thats what i was afraid of. Thought turkey and Egypt is a big no no. Turned out they were also restricted from using visa/MasterCard, hard to exchange rubles to dollars or euro in russia and statistically there were less Russians in Turkey than previous years, but still a lot.

Turkey is a fine country for a holiday, no problems with tap water etc, it’s quite civilised. I visited Istanbul one March, absolutely frozen with snow lying about, perishing and grey, so pick your time of year for up north.

Stayed in Bodrum one November very pleasant mellow sunshine, calm waters, idyllic and terrific if you don’t usually like too much sun exposure/heat. Went in an excursion to Dalyan which is once of the most delightful places I have been. My experience of Turkish airports is that they are very comfortable, eg Ryanair gets not one but two bridges in Bodrum!

Advertisement