Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Restoration - Taxes

Options
  • 20-02-2024 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi , hoping to bring a classic car ( 40 years +) from England to be restored by a family member in Cork . Will I have to pay any VAT when bringing over ? Its needs a full restoration .

Would I need to pay any export/ tax when I take it back ?

Any thoughts or comments welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

Well you're not importing it or registering it, only fixing it, so I'd imagine you'd be ok. i think there is something about needing to register after a number of months, but I'd say thats for driving/use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I might be talking out my proverbial here but I think I read somewhere that if you increase the value of something while it’s abroad (like a restoration) and bring it back you are liable for VAT on the increased value.

That being said, if you’re driving it over and driving it back, who’ll ever know? And customs won’t give you a second look.

Cui bono?

You know I'm going to have nearly the opposite issue in a few months, I'm going to need to trailer over a car from Ireland to England to get some work on it, car will be custom paid here (but probably not registered).

I can't even figure out who would have a problem with it, but it feels like someone will stop me somewhere for something... so I understand your concern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I had my E30 transported to the UK for a retrim - no issues taking it over, and I'll be driving it back - so don't foresee any issues there either. It is on Irish plates though, so less of a problem. If you're really concerned you could have it trailered back through Larne.

(threadjacking)

That puts my mind a bit at ease, I'll get mine registered before it goes to the UK.

I have, just before reading your comment, had a very long webchat with HMRC customs telling me that I'd need to appoint an agent and apply for a temp inwards processing (covering such topics as: "yields", "commodity codes", "profits", "bovine bone processing", "yards of fabric", "aircraft repairs") to get the car repaired and register myself with HMRC... but TBH I just don't think their system supports someone sending over a thing for repair - so if you ask they throw the book at you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement