Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV/BB

Options
  • 20-02-2024 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Spoke with a guy in a Virgin media store today and wanted to fact check some details:

He checked my Eircode and said they provide hybrid Fibre (I have no idea what that is ), he claimed the TV would come over Fibre if it worked and if not would be over copper.

He showed me the Virgin media box that I would get, tiny and said there is no restriction in recording anything other than pay per view - zero restrictions and everything was recorded locally not in the cloud - seemed really not true to me ?

Anyone have experience with Virgin TV/BB and running their own wifi router ? the TV was wifi only and since I run my own wifi router and leave the Provider box as a dummy gate gateway I'm always unsure if things will work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not sure what hybrid fibre is, sounds made up!

If the TV comes over actual fibre, then you will have to deal with recording restrictions (it's cloud based, nothing recorded locally, rights issues prevent full recording). This box is tiny, the other copper based boxes are much larger.

With a copper connection, you can use your own wifi router with Virgin but you must use their device as a modem at least (some people don't like this and run into double NAT issues). Not sure about actual fibre, but you must use their device as a modem here too (the fibre literally connects into it).

Post edited by JDxtra on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It is a thing, it isn’t made up! Has been for years.

Its called hybrid fibre coaxial and is essentially a trunk fibre network and coax then into the home.

They are currently transitioning to fibre to the home.

Advertisement