Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength of blockwork wall

Options
  • 20-02-2024 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi, how would I calculate what height of water, a standard unreinforced concrete blockwork wall (mortar joints, block on flat 215mm thick) could resist without collapse? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I'm into koi ponds and this question comes up all the time for pond builders.

Usually turning into massive debate .

The answer is that the ground is doing most of the heavy lifting. Did you ever see those skinny flood panels holding back the sea?

Or a glass window with water up to the top holding back a flood!

I've seen ponds around 2m deep build with 4" blocks on the flat without issue.

My own is cavity blocks with every second cavity filled with concrete & tied to a ring foundation, way stronger than it needed to be.

Advertisement