Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2024

Options
  • 20-02-2024 1:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a while away but still a lot of interest already in getting qualified etc

Can a certain favourite of ours finally do it...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

As long as I don’t start watching because he’s playing well he has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I feel like buzz for The Masters this year will be the lowest in memory due to be state of Golf at the moment. The availability of all players for the Masters doesn’t mask over how bad Golf has been recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I think it could be the opposite, the hype will be even bigger than normal. Tiger making another attempt, PGA vs LIV players especially with Rahm the defending champ, the Rory story. A lot of angles that I think will grab the typical golfer audience and maybe even some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Your joking me? You obviously didnt watch the Pheonix and that was without the LIV guys! I cant wait for it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree, it's easy to perpetuate a "division" but this is the first Major of the year, PGA/Asian/Amateur/DP/Liv etc is irrelevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I probably watch as much Golf as 90% of people on here, so I can guarantee you I did watch and I am watching. It's still ruined as it currently is. I don't agree that all the different tour stuff is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I reckon the masters is going to be very good this year, and more buzz than previous years as there will be excitement around getting the top guys in the world together again. Whereas previous years it was just the same golfers you're already used to, but them just competing together at the incredibly manicured Augusta (with the visuals of the course being the stand out differentiator between regular weekly events), but now added in to the mix will be each of DJ, Brooks, Rahm, Bryson, Phil, Sergio, Reed, Smith etc. Also given the division and the fact that lads are competing separately it will be interesting to see who's still got game. It would be a big step for LIV to prove that their guys that they've invested billions in are worth watching if they can dominate the leaderboard which adds a new angle to it and some extra pressure. Side note, players betting odds will be interesting to see.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Trampas

How many who play for liv are people going to miss? Not many if any. The majority of the big names are in already. Not like people will miss Westwood and co

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The world will keep spinning, that a few top golfer leave is inconsequential in my life. But to watch the masters with each of the already mentioned DJ, Brooks, Rahm, Bryson, Phil, Sergio, Reed, Smith should be pretty cool. Particularly as each also has a very serious point to make and the masters is one of their only conduits for being able to present themselves at the height of their career. If LIV has achieved anything is that the 4 majors are certainly more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Jaoquin Niemann has gotten an invite, as part of the masters invites to top international golfers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Good news, he's one of the best players in the world and could possibly contend.

Slightly surprised they've done it though, but pleased from a personal perspective in terms of viewing enjoyment.

Gooch will be a bit pissed, if he was Asian or South American he'd probably have gotten an invite.

Thorbjørn Olesen got an invite as well

That one was a little stranger, think Cabrera is due to play this year as well

I guess he’s out of prison then

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

He is playing on the Champions tour this week but it is in Morocco.

He hasn't been able to get a US visa yet so I don't expect him to be at Augusta

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

A good watch here - also on the pod

And here is something I wouldn't really do - but now that we have smart TV - worth watching back at one of them

So many interesting things to observe - things that have changed - things that are the same.

A few interesting things for me.

Slow play is not a new phenomena.

Putting set ups and techniques are so different.

Course is still lovely - and not real HD - but course nowhere near as manicured. (if still amazing for the time)

No back spin on ball - does stop but greens incredibly slower

Caddies are gas, crowd mad looking / and very casual.

They actaully hit a few shots further than I expected - hitting a low iron from say 230 - amazing.

In general you get a feel the field is very weak. (but hard to know)

You’d think they invite one more player to make up a 3 ball than put a 2 ball out there

Whilst a long watch - what a time in golf. What an event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

"In general you get a feel the field is very weak. (but hard to know) "

I had a quick look at the leaderboard for that 1977 Masters. 10 of the top 18 were major winners and 4 more were future major winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

are you agreeing or disagreeing?

2023, rahm, brooks, reid, speith, fitz, morikowa and scheffler, top 10, lowry, woodland, heidki rose top 16

If you even look at scores in old master ..about 5 or 6 top level guys in the mix ..then big gaps in scoreboard down to level ot over par.

Was a small field event ..invitational and a load of inform or out of form past champions.

personally think way more depth in event and far more depth in professional game now...like i mean 10 times more depth / strength of field..

I suspect that it was as strong a field as any of the American majors back then. i.e. All of the top Americans or golfers based in America but very little representation from the rest of the world.

Maybe not the same strength in depth as other majors of the time but the Masters has always had the smallest field.

Ok - i went in open minded - love look of new par 3 course.

Felt it looked like it was going to be more serious.

But no, I want to kill a few kids and even the good looking wives.

Doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The Par 3 tournament is rubbish, no idea why there's always so much fanfare over it

I actually think if it was serious ..like no kids and **** ..would actually be very interesting

• Advertisement

Butch has brought the footage of Rory's lesson with him to Sky, no secrets with Butch anyway!

Advertisement