Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me sell my car as is.

Options
  • 20-02-2024 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Need to sell my 2013 Passat. Its the highline model, 1.6 and 300k on the clock. It needs a few bits done, but I would rather sell it as is and take a hit, than paying to get the work done and hope to make more for it. It needs 2 new front tyres, the engine maintenance light is on (a mechanic said that its glow plugs), one of the dims is gone, and one brake light. Also needs a new alternator pulley. NCT until July this year. Does anyone know where I could sell as is, for a reasonable fair price. I know they're making €6,500 on donedeal with similar mileage. I was offered €2,800 but I have a feeling it's worth more than that. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭User1998

You can just put it on Donedeal for a fair price and the list the faults. I highly doubt you’ll get much more than €2,800 tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Depends on what kind of seller you want to be. If you do the glow plugs and get the EML light off, then some sucker will take it from you if its priced keenly.

Tyres and lights are cheap to fix, an easy DIY tbh and there is no excuse for not doing them. Lights are what €10 for a set online?

My attitude always is to have the car running in a shape that I am happy with before I sell it. It limits the texts and calls post sale if it breaks down and at least I know I didn't knowingly pass a money pit onto someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

I have no intention of trying to "do" someone. Going to be straight up and honest and at least then there's no comeback and it's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

1.6d with 300k that needs tyres, bulbs, has an engine light on that is an easy fix?

You will struggle to shift it, the line "oh its an easy fix" is the same as saying it has no NCT but will fly though the test, not worth two balls that line because if it is a cheap fix it would already be fixed, not to mention if someone will not even do a few cheap fixes what else have they skimped on in maintenance.

Take the € 2,800 because you will not get more without doing the repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I know you said you want to sell as is but you could have all that fixed by the end of the week for a few hundred by doing the lights yourself.

Get a fresh NCT, greenlight it on donedeal, boom, money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Can I ask (and I'm not trying to be smart here) - what are you going to do for a car once it's sold?

Surely if there's 4 months NCT left on it - the lesser of 2 evils is to spend a grand on getting it all fixed - and flog it in 4 month time with zero issues AND a fresh NCT? Get 5,500 - 6,000 for it then? And of the answer to my first question is - "I don't have the money to fix it all" - then how are you going to afford to trade up/buy another car?

Seems insane to take 2800 for it when all it has is the usual costs of running a 10+ year old car?

Have you chanced trading it in with a dealer? They'd have it NCT ready in a few hours and in their forecourt for 6-7000.

If i did the work, what could I expect as a realistic price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Surely 2 cheap tyres and bulbs will set you back at most 250-300. I can't see a set of glow plugs and a new alternator pulley costing the world. Ring around for a few prices. You should be right as rain for 700-1000, all in, depending on whether you find an honest mechanic or a fella who likes to take advantage of people. The engine light could be anything. Quicky and easily diagnosed with a VCDS diagnostic check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭User1998

Around €4,000. Remember asking prices are not the same as selling prices and yours is high mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d take the €2800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭goochy

i wouldnt be buying a car with an engine warning light on and dont think anyone would

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

The tyres getting toward their limit are an expense that I understand someone might want to avoid, but bulbs are about the most basic safety feature of a car.

If they can't be bothered to to fix that, what else has the seller neglected?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

NCT to July means you could have it tested in April and get a 15 month test on it if you spend say €1000 dealing with the issues. You can then sell it for the best offer over €3800 (lets say you ask 5-5,500) which means you get the price you've been offered now (€2800), you've covered the €1000 you've spent fixing it and you have a few quid in your pocket and it saves you having to splash out on a replacement for a couple of Months.

If you just want to 'dispose' of the car you could just put it into one of the auctions like Merlin's and put a reserve of €2800 on it and see how it goes, but honestly a bunch of people who are in the trade will spot a 'bad one' a mile off so worn tyres, lights gone and a check engine light on will scream dud especially at that mileage.

If you can afford it then get the work done, if not then put it up on done deal for a week and see what offers you get. If those offers are below the €2,800 you've already been offered then take the €2800 if its still available. Whether we like it or not a car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,117 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I get the feeling the OP doesn't want to spend money on the car and just want's it gone. However you cannot expect to get top money for a car that needs a lot of money spent on it by the next owner. Nobody buying a car like that will pay big money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭goochy

It's definitely not at all appealing at present

Sold to my mechanic for €3000 as is, plus a free service on my new car when needed. Paid €7k for it 3 and a half years ago so not bad. Could have forked out €1000 to fix it up and then maybe get €4-€4.5k for it but have a new car lined up and needed it gone. Thanks for help.

Advertisement