Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos Roof Tiles

Options
  • 20-02-2024 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I need a job done to a section of roof that was probably done around 40 years ago. The roofer has come back to say they are asbestos tiles so hence it is a lot higher charge. He sent up a drone to have a look at the roof so there was no physical examination.

Is it easy to tell if it is an asbestos roof from just photos?

Btw they have been very easy to deal with and have a good reputation but I am curious as to how they are so sure without doing a physical examination. I can send a photo if anyone is interested in having a look for themselves.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Not a jot!! 🤣

did you mean to attach something?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

You will have to get a contractor who is licensed through the HSA, which means they hold a licence (either repair or removal of) asbestos-containing materials (ACMs). This licence allows the business to supervise such operations and have the training to be competent in doing the job according to the correct methods, such as examining and providing the right means to remove any asbestos material.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If it's not natural slate and it predates the 1980's it probably contains asbestos.

You can't be 100% certain without testing it, but if you've looked at enough of it you can be quite confident it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Thanks for the comments, I would say the guy I got is fairly confident that it is asbestos and he does have the HSA licence as well. Getting another guy out on Friday morning to see what he says and to get another quote, so I will see how that goes first before committing to anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement