Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain the regs for chimneys adjacent to a neighbour please, we are getting gassed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Consider an air quality monitor such as the Ikea "Vindriktning". Even if it's just used to record times and dates as to when the particulate is high, it may help your case as it indicates the extent that the air quality has lowered over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you’ve misunderstood my point.

You can always challenge anything you like. That means little. The chances of being successful when somebody has complied with the regs are very slim.

It would be more cost effective to offer pay to raise their chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There’s us a planning exemption for chimneys associated with a domestic central heating system.

Depends on exactly what the chimney is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

I don't think you can apply a 30 degree angle to each situation - the angle is dictated by the height of the extension roof (the point on the verge directly opposite the flue in this case I think) and the eaves eaves (bottom edge of tiles on the roof - assuming the roof pitch is not significantly greater than the zone angle you get).

I think the flue will have to comply with that zone angle and with a height above or distance from the extension ridge or distance above the extension roof intersection.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Hi folks.

So I have an update. I will try to explain it clearly

The first angle is the environmental health officer was concerned about fumes in the house, smoke alarm triggering in my daughters room demonstrates a health issue, but for starters, its compliance with building regs that is being reviewed.

So from the back of the 2 story house (not the extention), go 10 meters. Then draw a line from that point to the guttering of the two story house. Any chimney must be a minimum of 600mm above this drawn line - if that makes sense.

Accordingly, it appears we have an issue here. I will update when more happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Yes - sorry I was taking your starting point at the extension roof edge.

Obvious now it should be the 10 000mm as a minimum - and from the lowest point of the roof structure!

It makes it even more likely that it is within the prohibited zone.

F

Advertisement