Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi/VW 3 litre V6 diesel

Options
  • 19-02-2024 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

As it says lads and lasses, any experience of ownership of vehicles with this engine ( A7 as an example ) , any horror stories , are chains an issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

What year are you looking at? They're solid enough but the VV/Audi versions come in wildly different power outputs with some being tuned to only around 200bhp which is a shame for such a competent engine. I'd highly recommend the BMW inline 6 diesels as they are by many considered one of the best ever made being very smooth and plenty of power, especially mated to the ZF gearboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I had one in an A6 quattro.

Only 1 problem I came across in the 180k kms I racked up on it.The valve cover gasket was starting to fail. My trusty local mechanic reckoned to budget €400-ish to get it done..simply the labour to get access to both sides of the 'V'

It had close to 300 kms on it when I sold it.

Most reliable engine I have driven with more power then you will realistically ever need especially mated to the quattro drive.

I did a straight out and back drive to Limerick from North County Dublin and driving at 100kph for most of the journey I avgeraged 6ltr/100k.

Be very fussy about what oil and filters you use and I used the expensive diesel and on its last NCT when I had it it flew through emissions with no dipethane involved .

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have a 2012 A7 with 180k km on the clock (60 of those mine in the last 3 years) and it hasn't put a wheel wrong. It spends most of its time on the motorway and is serviced on time so that's key to cars like this.

Previously had 2 A6s (2005 and 2010) with the older version of that engine and again they had much the same life albeit a lot more mileage - I was doing 1300km a week in those days. Despite that though, the interior held up very well and everything still worked.

The 2010 was traded against the A7 with 410,000km on the clock but was starting to give issues (intermittent oil pressure warnings and going into limp mode) so it wasn't worth doing much with at that stage. Everything else was perfect though.

Cars like this need to be run though and regular servicing is essential. Far better than the 2 litre option for the size too.

Advertisement