Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay in Munich

Options
  • 19-02-2024 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on where to stay in Munich please.

I see a lot of the very nicely priced hotels are around the central train station but a fair few reviews of the hotels within that area say it's a bit dodgy.

The old town seems to be the most recommended place but is much more expensive.

Just looking to see what other folks think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I stayed in the Leonardo Hotel Munich City North. It wasn't in the middle of town or anything but it was very near the U Bahn, S Bahn and the tram so it was easy to get around from there. Nice hotel and the area was OK from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Jizique

Great public transport and cheap 3 days tickets so everywhere is fine really, for choice I would stay around Isartor near the river

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Pullman hotel in Schwabing, on the U6 UBahn from Marienplatz, about 10 minutes travel,

fantastic coffee shop & mini mart attached to hotel for breakfast.

outdoor area for drinks & smoking 🚬

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the 3 day ticket is now gone but the weekly one is now reduced so makes sense even for 3 days. Only available per person but the group 1 day tickets are still available.

As for the station area, its grand. Theres a lot of betting shops, jewelers, kebabs and a dwindling amount of adult entertainment (actual prozzies are banned in the city centre since 1972 for the olympics) so not the swishest of areas, not somewhere you would want to spend your honeymoon, but its not dangerous and does have obviuous logistical advantages if you intend using the trains!

Also, if the area was dangerous, why are hoteliers falling over themselves to build more and more hotels, and could you have Marriott and Sofitel 4 and 5 star hotels in an area if it wasnt even safe to walk outside ?

If you wanted an area without kebab shops, a safe bet is one of the places mentioned above or one of the hotels by Rosenheimerplatz (Hilton, Holiday inn, Novotel) or one of the new ones around Ostbahnhof - both options with direct trains to the airport and very regular and quick sbahn to Marienplatz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I've went with Hotel Bayer's. I intend on using the trains a bit to maybe go to Salzburg or Berchtesgaden so it's an area that cannot be avoided and maybe isn't as bad as some make out to be. While they can be difficult to unread, the negative comments on Booking.com can sometimes be a bit ridiculous.

Again from reading the comments and google street view there seems to be a lot of construction going on around that area so it seems to be a place thats getting investment.

And if it's anything like Berlin I expect it to be well policed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I hope you enjoy, let us know how it goes! 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hotel Bayers is on Schillerstrasse and the normal way (i.e. just follow Schillerstr) to the station makes no sense as firstly the station front entrance is now just a hole in the ground and only the side entrances are open, and there are building sites at the end of the road that make getting to the non existant front entrance of the station a pain.

The solution is to take a parallel street like Senefelderstr to the side entrance, which is actually open, which has neither construction nor masses of randomers, nor "cabaret" or kebab shops, so a more pleasant way in every aspect. I did a little graphic to show what I mean.

That aside, the area isnt the worst. Youre beside Schillerbrau which is a microbrewery (nice beer, very very rustic foot) and on the map below you can see where Münchener Stubn is which has nice beer and more refined Bavarian food, and insanely good pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Thanks for that I'll take it on board.

Advertisement