Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator cold spots and messed up installation.

Options
  • 19-02-2024 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello all.

Would value opinions on this little predicament I have.

Its along story but I will stick to the basics.

House about 22 yrs old. OFCH in and worked ok. Stove with back boiler added about 10 years ago to 'compliment' the oil system.

For about the last 6 or 7 years, cold spots have developed and obviously worsened in some of the radiators, to the point that barely the tops of some of them heat now.

I know what the issue is of course but my problem is trying to get someone to fix it. My main is issue is that there are 3 plumbers associated with the family and they have all had (separately) some part in installing the current system and herein lies the problem. Each one of them claims that the work done by one or the other is "not right", and as a result of the way the stove was plumbed into the system in particular, flushing the system will not work. The most recent 'diagnosis' resulted in nothing more than the addition of a magnetic filter added to the boiler and a failed attempt at adding a flushing kit and me out of pocket to the tune of €600!.

Ive had to have 3 new rads fitted due to old age and while they are working fine for now, I know its only a matter of time before they to get clogged up.

I'm desparate to get this resolved somehow, as its a total waste having heating on in its current condition.

I intend to get a 'neutral' plumber to do the work....and so finally, here is my question.

Based on the info I have given, do you think if I were to replace all the rads (would be happening soon anyway) and had the system drained out before new rads put on, would this be an option, at least one that might give me a few years? I'm only talking about 5 singles that need replacing. I am very strongly considering having the back boiler closed off anyway as its not of any benefit really and so would only be using the OFCH.

The heating is not used often in the house, a few hours a day generally.

Sorry its a bit long.

I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers. P

Comments

Advertisement