Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Clear Mobile or GoMo SIM card work in a router?

Options
  • 18-02-2024 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I'm currently exploring options for cheap-ish internet for my parents.

I have just ordered Sky for them, however I am now wondering if a GoMo or Clear Mobile SIM in a router might be an even cheaper option.

I know Clear Mobile is capped at 5mb download speed, however this might be OK if they could still watch Netflix and YouTube

I know GoMo have a FUP - how strict are they on this? Do they start charging if you go over 120gb or do they throttle speeds? Is it still useable?

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts, thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I have a GoMo sim in a TP Link 4G router in my parent's house for Sky/Netflix/Disney Plus

It works fine. They havent hit any cap - even when my brother kids visit and hammer it with ipads and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Wow, that's impressive to hear. I did consider GoMo but I know they have a FUP of 120GB or so and I think my parents would go over this.

I think I'll try a SIM and test it out, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Both worked for me. I switched from Gomo to Clear due to a signal strength

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

What setup is it you are using? Do you have an exterior aerial? Where I live rurally there is no indoor mobile signal so it would need an external roof mounted aerial I presume? Not great on tech but would be interested in getting something cheaper sorted if possible.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother has used a €10 Gomo SIM for the last 18 months or so, in a Huawei 4G router, with external P60 aerials. The mast is about 9 km away.

No issues in that time.

A few occasions he's gone over the 120 limit, speed drops back to 5 or 10 Mbps, he says he doesn't even notice the drop in speed in every day usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Buddy has set up a TP link router with a 48 SIM - 12.99 per month, 200gb data allowance.

Advertisement