Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to know if a property is eligible

Options
  • 18-02-2024 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi guys I'm in the market for a house. I'm just wondering is there any way of knowing if a property has already received some seai grants and two if its eligible and what for? Obviously I'd need to factor all this in before engaging with the vendor in any meaningful way. Is there a body I can contact to get the information and what would they need from me in order to process my request? I have emailed the seai but I haven't received anything back as yet. I hope I'm making sense! Thanks

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Reverse engineer it. Check the grants available on Seai and then see if the house has any of those.

Most works from a grant are visible bar insulation pumped into walls. But you'll likely see the round holes cememted up on the top of the walls where it was pumped. External insulation is visible. Same for heatpump. And ev charger.

If they have solar panels they will include in the house description as it improves the house value.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I doubt any grants are claimed if it's a G!

The one off grants are usually solar, charge points,

Heatpump is a bit more involved.

Then it's deep retrofit/one stop shop territory.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You won't get any of that sort of information as it's private to the current home owner.

The eligibility will depend on age of house, your age, exiting heating systems and such like.

In any event, starting off with what grants are available is the wrong approach

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Th wrong approach? I would think forewarned is forearmed in this case. Its the biggest transaction I'll ever make and I don't think going in blindly is the way to go if you know what I mean. No point buying a property in the hopes it'll be eligible for various grants and factoring this into purchase price only to realise apres purchase for whatever reason I'm not entitled to any grants. That would leave me looking quiet foolish I feel. Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I agree with CH here. Just because there is a grant for a particular upgrade measure and your house qualifies for said grant, this does not necessarily mean that the particular upgrade measure is appropriate or will make a difference to either your comfort or heating bills.

Or in other words: Don't allow the grant tail wag the heat loss dog!

Put it this way the property I will be viewing is in need of modernisation. It also has a BER G so if I'm going to put in an offer I'd like to know exactly how much I'll need to have to modernise and bring up the ber. The grants will obviously play a massive part in my decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭purplefields

I've been through this.

Stuff that could cause you more problems is:

• Is the roof okay, or need replacing
    • Any asbestos anywhere
    • What is the waste water system. Is it mains sewerage or do you need to replace a treatment system
    • Subsidence/damp/rot/woodworm/structural issues.

I too thought that SEAI grant stuff was important, until I looked at the prices for it. For example, with EWI it might be much less expensive to go the non-grant route. Remember that these grants are for the installers, not the customers. The EWI prices are inflated to cover the costs of the grants. You may be lumbered with the form filling etc, to get the installer's money for them.

• Advertisement

Thank you for taking the time to respond

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This. Buy the house if it suits location wise and size wise etc. Then figure out what could be done, at what costs and if it's worth the grant application. There's a good element of truth in the statement that in applying for the grants, you are working for the installers as much as yourself.

Advertisement