Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SecureWave: GSM-Q no longer working

Options
  • 18-02-2024 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I've been self-monitoring my HKC SecureWave using a GSM-Q module with a Tesco Mobile SIM since it was first installed about 9 years ago. No problems until recently when the system just stopped responding to SMS messages/commands that worked fine before. I hadn't tried an SMS command for some 5-6 months before realising it was no longer working tbh, but I've checked with Tesco Mobile and the account is certainly still active and only recently topped up, etc.

Any ideas on getting things sorted without calling out the installer? I don't have an engineer code. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

I would power the system down and back up as the sim may not be registered properly on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crowshi

Thanks for the advice.

I tried powering down and up the entire system as suggested (disconnected mains power and then the main panel battery for a few moments before reconnecting) but still having no luck. I took the SIM from the GSM-Q module and confirmed that it still works OK in a phone. Also tried a new Tesco Mobile SIM in the GSM-Q unit but no joy. The status LEDs on the GSM-Q module seemed to behave the same for the old and new SIMs; small green continues to blink, and large red comes on for a few seconds every so often.

I think that Tesco Mobile (well, Three in general) have been turning off 3G around the country, and I am wondering if this might be my problem? If so, are there any other PAYG network SIMs that I could try instead? (If just swapping SIMs is an option without an engineer code, etc.)

Feel that I'm being snookered into having to get a new WiFi card and poxy SecureComm subscription instead:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Its more so the 2G that the system uses and is the main issue when trying to source the sims for these units.

HKC made them obsolete for the same reason.

Advertisement