Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail on lights

Options
  • 17-02-2024 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

My 05 polo failed the NCT on lights. The tester said to get the lenses cleaned and lights refocused. Passed on everything else. What would it cost to get this done with the lights? Will I go to my regular garage or do the tyrestop type places do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Headlight alignment is around €20, the headlamps will also need to be sanded and polished, a professional headlight restoration job would be around €50 but you can do it yourself if you check Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I once had a pre NCT check done and was told the lights needed cleaning and sanding and was quoted €30. I ended up washing them myself with a sponge in warm soapy water for about 5 mins and they passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Your own garage will realign the headlamps.

Usually a carwash/valet place will do the sanding, polishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's surprising what a difference using a toothpaste and microfiber cloth will make before spending out on the more expensive kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes toothpaste with grit makes all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

The trouble with using the DIY toothpaste/oven cleaner/CIF cream etc V the kits is the lights will go dull again very quickly, whereas the kits normally have a bit of oxidation/UV protection built in which helps keep the lights restored for longer.

Saying that, in the past I've used the DIY items to get me through tests successfully when I've been stuck.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd really recommend doing the headlights - I did the below last week for just over a tenner.

I bought the below, and also some extra 2000 Grit wet/dry paper as a review of the kit said that the included pad could wear out quickly. I could have just used any polish or even toothpaste, but the sanding is much faster, and the key thing is you need to re-seal the headlights so that they don't yellow prematurely again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Wax-Headlight-Restorer-Headlamp/dp/B08TQBB38G

Advertisement