Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Craic of being Disabled in Ireland

Options
  • 16-02-2024 12:14am

An abundance of lip service, many failures. Trying to get a seat on the LUAS with young ones stuck in phones. I’ve pretty much given up on public transport. “You are the exception rather than the norm, we can’t be dictated to by your minority” is o e argument presented on Boards apparently immune to strokes etc.

l fund my holidays in Spain to be an absolute godsend, indeed all over the world I have re dived the most respectful treatment as a person with a mobility issue. Outside of Ireland there’s a “can-do” attitude, inside we have a “can’t help that person, health & safety”. Or just “someone else will help”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

it is not nice being disabled, many folk dismiss you, some people try to use you, yeah its not nice

There are hugely kind people too. On the LUAS most of the people who give me their seat are young Asian males, that’s a plain honest observation. God bless them!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I've noticed more and more that Irish people in contrast to the countries I've visited are **** to people with disabilities, especially people with intellectual disabilities, says a lot about our moral character as a nation.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I went to a private school, same one as Mary Lou McDonald. Useless academically , but they did install in us an immense social conscience, and the girls have displayed this on so many endeavours since. It was a very good school IMO, they way it prioritised our mindset.

I grew up with a mindset to be protective of those who needed that, though it’s a Catholic school the priority was teaching us plain ordinary be decent kind of stuff.

iIn my thirties I took huge joy in pushing a friend as needed in a wheelchair. Tonne my greatest pleasure was in helping others.

I’m getting older into a world that pays the most frivolous lip service to the statutory elements of disability. My disability is not age related per se, I have progressive Multiple Sclerosis. The fact is you really don’t want to be disabled in Ireland, most of the time.

I worked for Dublin City Council, but was very glad of the disability education sessions afforded to us. One thing that clearly stuck in my mind was to address the individual and not their carer, at least initially. Always remembered to do this and to always try and revert back to the client where possible “is that ok with you?”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Unfortunately, drivers routinely endanger people with disabilities by parking illegally and dangerously on footpaths. This kind of enforcement is rare.

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/1758130018159648892?s=46&t=3l1OhjvjsuAh4w9RMjlH8g

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I never realised how bad it was until my relative developed dementia and became basically wheelchair bound. People parking on footpaths or inadequate access to buildings are only the tip of the iceberg. In many cases, IME, the physical infrastructure is not too bad - but what absolutely stinks is the discriminatory, ignorant, apathetic and sometimes abusive behaviour of staff working in health and social care. This includes people for whom a big part of their core duties is dealing with disabled and elderly people.

Advertisement