Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to leave Eir

Options
  • 15-02-2024 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Today Eir told me the price of fibre broadband is increasing by €5 in March to €76 per month Time to move I think.

I had a look at switcher.ie and there are some deals. Anyone been through the process? Do they handle the move or do I still need to contact Eir to cancel my contract? When I got the fibre installed two years ago there was a lot of work digging a hole in the driveway and drilling the wall of the house. Please tell me it will be easier to switch provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Sign up for with sky fibre ultrafast 500mb €30pm for 12 months. Once they take over the line your eir account will close automatically so no need to contact eir. The fibre line is there now so process is simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you stay with a re-seller who uses Eir's fibre, then you won't have to drill any new holes. Eir owns the fibre, and the re-sellers just rent it from Eir at a Wholesale rate. There is no need to contact Eir if you are moving.

However, it is always worth contacting Eir to try to renegotiate before your contract is up. You can only do this by calling 1901 and asking for the Loyalty team. I find that they always renew discounts, if you are prepared to re-contract for another 12 months. It helps to have done your research on the alternatives, and show that you are aware of these before you negotiate. The Eir €37.99pm rate for new customers on 500Mbps includes €100 cash-back, so this is effectively identical to the Sky €30pm - if you can persuade them to give you the same deal as they give to new customers. Even if you can't, it may still be worth staying with Eir for a slightly higher bundle price - if you can add in TV or mobile to your bundle. Eir's TV & Mobile SIM-only add-ons are very competitive, at €9.99pm each - and the TV add-on allows you to do multi-room with no additional monthly fee, if you buy additional Apple TV boxes yourself. The Apple TV 4K Streaming is also far superior to either Sky or Vodafone streaming platforms, and for example allows unrestricted recording of UK TV channels. If you choose a re-seller who offers Broadband only without either TV or Mobile, you will likely spend more in additional subscriptions.

Advertisement