Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do young fellas going out drinking not bring coats anymore?

Options
  • 15-02-2024 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

Why? It's so stupid. It was freezing on Monday night in Galway and loads of them were out with no coats. Are the drugs driving them mad?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Showing off the guns, baby, showing off the guns.

Ah, it's no different to young wans wearing tiny dresses that barely cover anything, just showing off a bit for attention. And logically speaking, I'd say the 5 minutes cold would probably be worth it for the couple of hours in a warm to stiflingly hot pub/club and not having to take off and misplace/have robbed a nice jumper/jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was Mayo Monday.

If the girls don't need coats, why should the lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I went through a phase of that, it’s so you don’t lose them. With drink taking and warm pubs they really aren’t that necessary. Especially in 8-10 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

People be robbin' jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah sure, everything is in the cloud these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

If they had work to be getting up for they wouldn't be going out without coats. In my day we wore coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Cause less of them are smoking, so they're not outside in the cold.

Easier to have a sneaky vape inside.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Having to carry or check in jackets in clubs maybe. Or more often than not, forgetting to bring a jacket home.

That would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always found bringing a coat on a night out a bit of a pain.

One is you generally go from the taxi/bus directly into pub/club.

Then you've to decide what to do with the jacket. Do you give it into a cloak room or mind it for the night and then possibly forget it.

Then there's trying to pick what style of jacket to wear. You mightn't have one appreciate.

Once your drinking and moving around you generally don't really feel the cold.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Having to carry or check in jackets in clubs maybe. Or more often than not, forgetting to bring a jacket home.

That would be my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,666 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A lot of people do, and a lot of jackets get left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Socks seem to be a no no also nowadays. Lad in front of me in the deli was wearing shorts n t shirt on a bitterly cold day last week.

As they say - the customer is always right!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

"Ankle Cleavage" as its known......popularised by hipsters and GAA analysts on the Sunday Game - think Jackie Tyrell, Philly McMahon, Aidan O'Mahony, TJ Reid and their like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Same here. I don't drink so if I am going out I drive to wherever it is and go in, no need for a jacket, even if its a night out in Dublin. I can deal with a bit of rain and cold for a few minutes while I make my way from the carpark to wherever I am going.

This has been going on for years in the UK. I remember when I moved over there in 2000 and was going out at the start I would bring a jacket and the lads would laugh at me coming into the pub with my jacket. Oh the shame. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Lazy???? How on earth is that lazy hahah. It’s dumb but I fail to see how it’s lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is a drinking coat

holds 24 cans

fleece lined for those cold winter nights

green In colour to blend in with bushes to evade the local gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Years of listening to the Sultans of Ping have them worried in case to go to the disco

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭thereiver

I see young lads wearing shorts and trainers with no socks even on a cold day . It's a Gen z trend .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I imagine the percentage of people that have coats robbed or lost is minute…

My own thoughts is they wish to appear hard, like the cold isn’t bothering them. And possibly to show off a physique…Which doesn’t make much sense… as any physique will be more on show and indeed accessible to people indoors.. where a coat is not required.

if I was a girl and saw a fella in freezing conditions standing outside a pub or club in just a shirt or tshirt, I’d presume as I do now as a guy that that fella was a bit touched, and not in the way he’d probably like to be…same as I do any girl if she just had a skimpy dress and no coat / jacket… in the middle of winter… saps and oddballs every last one….

that said I’ve got quite a collection of stylish jackets and coats especially winter and autumn ones and it’s from my perspective a comfy and practical joy to be wrapped up in them, when required.

As for theft…. Just go into pub - find table - sit down - going to get a drink, bathroom break, smoke….a person remains watching drinks, coats and bags…. So that’s quite an easy, tried and tested and effective way to ensure nothing gets half inched… 🤪 and everyone leaves with their stuff….

vanity and a misplaced lofty ideal of oneself is the only logical explanation to the coatless cohort but that is partly the hipster gobshîte way…. AttentionAttentionAttention….. they crave it. No matter what the outcome, inconvenience or consequences….or ridiculousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not drinking related, but my 15 year old daughter will not wear a coat. Not to school, not to the teen disco, not to bring the dog for a walk. She has coats, she just won't wear one. She'll wear a hoodie. She'll even wear two hoodies. But asking her to wear a coat is like asking her to wrap herself in pineapple and crisp bags - as far as she's concerned, coats or jackets are just not items of clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I saw one in GAA shorts and GAA t shirt in the pissing rain one day, he wasn't even trying to take shelter, you could tell by the look of him he thought he was the bee knees. sad ejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,673 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Coat checks are for squares

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You see guys in their 50s with the shorts in Feb look, trying to look youthful and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

Why is this in current affairs? Looks like an After Hours thread to me 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Packrat

Whatever about coats, the clowns wh won't wear socks deserve nothing but mockery and abuse.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Baba Yaga

myself i call them gobshites but z-lister will do

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If you’re feeling fancy , you could wear this one on a Sunday.

Advertisement