Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation on inside of new windows

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Ah ok, what you have is more along the lines of what I thought we'd need.

Thanks again for the info. I could be totally wrong, but I think we'll need a MHRV system that provides fresh air also.

Our house isn't properly airtight but it's definitely a lot less leaky compared to when it was built in 2008 - the spray foam made a huge difference for upstairs. That, and the fact there's no wall vents (except kitchen extractor) makes me think we need a more all round system to ensure we get enough fresh air. The current windows have trickle vents but it's too tempting to shut these when cold and windy!

Is it just a case of getting an airtightness test to find out which kind of system we'd need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The current windows have trickle vents but it's too tempting to shut these when cold and windy!

This suggests to me you still have some air tightness 'opportunities'

Is it just a case of getting an airtightness test to find out which kind of system we'd need?

I would (you can't manage what you don't measure!)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Apologies for being completely dumb (and for all the questions!), but by 'opportunities' here are you just referring to the windows/trickle vents - or do you mean we likely have issues elsewhere if we're impacted on windy days?

What I had meant was that we simply didn't want a gale blowing cold air in through the trickle vents after making the house nice and cozy. The house is generally very good to retain heat now and doesn't suffer from heat being sucked out by wind/draughts any more.

Definitely need to arrange an airtightness test though. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 smyth79

I was asking about the level of air flow. You have answered my question so thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 smyth79

One more question on your system if I may.

The vents for letting in fresh air. Are they just standard hole in the wall type vents? Or some type of humidity sensing vents like these?

https://www.aereco.ie/products/air-inlets-ie/eht2/

• Advertisement
Advertisement