Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes women volunteer for childbirth?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No no no Padre, MY children are great.

Nearly all other people's children are annoying little shíts 😁

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The endless motions are the best craic, then children come along to ruin it

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

They don't ... at least not the educated ones. Factor in the costs and time, it's not worth it. However the lower economic scale with support from government, it would be worth it. In fact single mom's would be top of the housing list. So from Darwinian perspective they are the smarter ones cause their genes pass on to next generation,they will have grandchildren and will be looked after as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

It's not uncommon. Of the four kids I have fathered - three of them were born without any form of pain killers used at all. Went with "water births". The final child was a bit more complicated - and overdue so a bit larger that it should have been - so pain killers were opted for in that case.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So educated women don't have children? Anything to back that up?

• Advertisement

Life ain't always empty.

For one of them I had a couple of pints while I was waiting, does that count as a painkiller?

Life ain't always empty.

Not when herself is within earshot its not :)

I had a massive cigar outside after each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Crazy question, like who else could "volunteer' for childbirth 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's not always horrible or no one would do it. I gave birth without any pain relief whatsoever and had a 30 hour labour and I felt like I could conquer the world after. Those hormones can be very powerful 😄 yes it hurt but it was an amazing, powerful experience (for me, fully aware not everyone gets that).

I mean when you're in the throes of it there's nothing to do but get on with it and think about the baby at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s not exactly volunteering, I mean it’s the only way, if it could be passed over to the male party I’m sure in many cases it would be! You have to have a lot of money to and patience to go the surrogacy route and adoption takes so long with no guarantees so it’s less a case of volunteering and more a case of necessity when one wants children.

Have to admit I am struggling to work out what your thread is even about :)

At first it seemed to be about how you can not understand why people go for the whole thing of child rearing and having a family - because the birth part itself is a bit messy and painful.

In this post however it seems more like you think Children as a whole are the problem and you do not understand why anyone wants them.

So not sure at all what your question even is at this point. In fact - I have a niggling doubt you know yourself :)

Anyway loads of people are childless by choice and have no interest in them. And there is a movement called "Anti Natalism" which espouse the idea no one should be having them. So perhaps some of their literature would be up your alley :) No doubt they have a newsletter you can subscribe to:

youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

Volunteer for child birth sounds more like surrogacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Since abortion has been legalised anyone who sits out the first 3 months of a pregnancy is essentially volunteering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭YellowLead

So is your question more about why are people having kids? Because if you want to have children there’s no way of passing that job on to the man, unfortunately!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If men were responsible for childbirth and going through labour, the future of the human race would be well and truly f*cked.

I remember my big sis telling me that shortly after she had my nephew in 2001. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

My mother used to always say if men were to give birth no-one would have a brother or sister. If that's true it's a sure way to solve the problem of the planet being overpopulated.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Never got the whole passing my genes on, who cares? why would you want to do that? and who cares if people stopped having kids and humanity would die out, big deal. the animals would look after the planet better than people can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It is true, the pain can be really awful at times, but when it's over its truly forgotten and really difficult to actually explain.

And you have a lovely Baby, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I don't have children. I grew up being told by my Mam from a young age that having children was the ruination of her life and warning me never to do it. I guess it stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Child birth is fine. It can be tiring and takes a huge amount of physical exertion but the rush of oxytocin after the baby deliveries is better than any drug I've ever experienced. I mean marathon running is exhausting too and at the end all you get is a mass produced medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Unprotected sex is just too damn good for most lads to turn down.

Women get very well rewarded financially from welfare & all but guarantees them a foreva home from the council.

But I do think there’s too many people on the planet, just look what a few full Croke Parks worth of Immigrant’s have done to this country.

Schools full, public transport full, Healthcare full, Creches full, housing forget about it!

And everyone is blaming these systems for not being able to cope!

"Gee, thanks mam, sorry for ruining your life"

Life ain't always empty.

They said it was the immigrits but I knew it was the bears all along.

Immigrants are not responsible for governments failing to provide adequate infrastructure

Take the immigrants out of our public transport and health systems and they'd be fûcked entirely.

You need to think about it

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Lets say you increased your household by another 10 people.

The infrastructure & resources you have in that house won’t be able to cope will it.

And do you think your family will say oh we never provided more beds, car parking space and toilets?

No they’ll tell you stop bringing people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭XsApollo

No matter how much the world these days is trying to re-define men and women, they can’t re-define nature.

its the one thing the world can never take from a woman or give to man, unlike t*ts , vaginas, penises and identity.

I imagine it’s a primal unconscious trigger or need that appears, but being a man myself I wouldn’t really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Advertisement

Not sure I really get it either. Of all the reasons that I had for wanting to start a family and have kids - thoughts of my genes figured nowhere on the list. Nor on the list of anyone I have ever spoken to on the topic.

I somewhat suspect that as thought out as my reasons actually were - millions of years of evolution meant my genes were influencing my decisions and ideas. But their influence was subtle if so and I can not say I noticed it.

Advertisement