Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes Car Service Dublin -€665

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lord Baron Lane 8

I have never bought a German car you would want a bank behind you .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's a fair point.

Set aside a new/newish car with Warranty - It totally makes sense to use the main dealer during that timeframe to ensure you get warranty support if and when needed.

So , you buy a 3/4 year old "Prestige" car and hold on to it for another 4 years maybe servicing it 5/6 times during that time depending on milage.

Main Dealer vs. Independent you are probably saving 250+ per service , especially on a high end vehicle , so a saving of maybe up to €1500 over the timeframe

Are you really going to get that extra ~€1500+ quid on an 8 year old car on trade in because you have a full set of Dealer stickers in the Service book instead of an Independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭goochy

only on a really high end model

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Translation: ""hurrrr, these Merc/Beemer/Audi dopes can't afford the most basic of services durrrrr what a pack of saps".

I've posted on here before about Joe Duffy/Audi North Dublin. I would actively avoid a car that was serviced by them, they're that bad. Anyone handing their money over to that shower deserve to be rode sideways.

You are not reading and understanding the points being put to you, including the OP. I might as well be shouting down the toilet, for all the good it's doing, so here's my last attempt, in bullet format so that it's easier to digest:

• Doesn't matter where you get it serviced if you're not gonna sell it before it's maybe 6 years old. After that, it doesn't matter anyway
    • You were giving out about people not being able to afford the extra costs associated with 'high end' cars. The OP CAN AFFORD to get it serviced by a main dealer, he cannot afford to be ripped off by them while getting it done.
    • That's not what this thread is about, it's about the difference in cost of servicing it from one main dealer to another
    • If you were getting your car serviced and the options were either in MSL (who charge €665) or Brady's in Castleknock (€415), both of them main dealers, which one would you pick?
    • Only a fool would choose to pay an extra €250 for absolutely no reason, right? You'd want to be a complete idiot to pay over the odds for the exact same product/service, correct?
    • So why are you moaning about the OP who is questioning the high cost of the MSL service? The answer is because you don't know what you're talking about and you're spouting the same auld shite that people have been trotting out for years without understanding the words coming out of your mouth. There are hundreds of thousands like you, who all want to buy cars.
    • The main dealers know this. I'm convinced this whole "main dealer full service history" was started by them to milk idiots for every penny they have.

I mean, if the main dealer wanted €2,500 to change the oil and filters, would you just pay it anyway to keep the full service history? Why? To preserve the value if you wanted to sell it on? You think you're gonna get an extra €15k on the asking price of a 6 year old S-class versus one without the full history? Of course you ain't, so what's the point in spending all that money? The OPs service didn't cost that much but it is still an eye-watering amount of money to be handing over for an hour's work or so.

The reason this entire premise exists in the first place is because of an outdated trope about Irish people being stingy when it comes to this sort of stuff. Traditionally, we didn't have any sort of motoring industry or culture here, outside rallying really. P. Anyone who was around pre-NCT days will remember the bangers you'd regularly see on the roads, held together with gaffer tape and superglue, spewing blue smoke, mismatched wheels and paint jobs etc. eople would scrimp and save where they could, getting often unlicensed or unqualified 'mechanics' to carry out ad-hoc repair jobs. Cowboys, mostly.

Those guys are long gone and it is the main dealers who are the cowboys these days. No responsibility, no accountability, just an inflated sense of importance and grandeur because they work for one of the German car companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Personally I laugh a little at people who sneer at the dealers when they can't even do their own servicing.

"It should only cost X, because they are just apprentices and it isn't worth it etc etc".

The market doesn't work that way. Supply and demand, the dealers are all booked out weeks in advance because they have more work than capacity, of course the prices are going to reflect that.

And bad news folks, it is going to get a hell of a lot worse. The lack of new technicians coming through hasn't fully hit yet, soon it is going to be an absolute nightmare just to find a garage at all and their prices are going to keep going up to match that fact.

No business is going to leave money on the table, if the diary is full then damn right they should be increasing prices.

And there is no point shouting that changing an air filter should be cheap because it is easy, if its so easy then buy the parts and fit it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭User1998

I think if its all recorded electronically then it doesn’t really make much of a difference whether if was Mercedes or an independent.

Getting an independent mechanic with the proper Mercedes servicing software is a lot better than having a glovebox full of handwritten oily receipts from loads of different mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

Bottom line should be that only go to main dealer if you have manufacturer warranty or extended warranty on a used car. After that up to individual, if main dealer is only marginally dearer than Indy and if you may get good will warranty from the dealer on potential break down then nothing wrong with servicing car with them. If it’s twice the price or more for such basic service then reputable independent is as good. I have serviced my cars in dealers and independent. Always had excellent experience with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Not true, you can get your car serviced in any VAT registered garage and keep your warranty.

Having seen the carry on of main dealer technicians in multiple garages, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole unless its warranty work. Much prefer to do it myself or pay an indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭kirving

When push comes to shove and you need serious warranty work done (lets say engine internals or EV battery) the independent will likely not have the proof, nor be willing to spend the time, to fight your corner and state that the car was serviced to the letter of the manufacturer spec.

For a premium car under warranty, it's absolutely worth going to the main dealer. Shop around of course, but service cost are utterly tiny when compared to depreciation on a premium car.

I recently bought a second hand GLC, which will be under manufacturer warranty until it is over 7 years old. Bought it approved used (CPO), so 2 year warranty, and then paid for the extended CPO for an extra 2 years. Having previously been quoted crazy BMW bills, it makes total sense to me for the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Are they harder to service than a Corolla or a Focus?

A Focus service would be half that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

You wouldn't think so with a Nissan engine the A class is prestige in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭goochy

Rubbish . Sure land discoveries had a Psa/ Citroën- peugeot engine once and bentleys have had same parts as a vw

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Booked my 2021 530e in for a sevice with joe duffy, might cancel now after reading reviews, rang the other 3 bmw dealerships and all similar price.

Joe duffy can do it next week where all the others where booked out till JUNE, I found that a bit suspicious.

Post edited by buzzerxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Joe duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Problem with that is if anyone in the future brings that car to a main dealer for a service all of those 3rd party services stored in the cars computer will be deleted when the main dealer writes in their service. You are better off with manual dockets

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

My post that goes into more detail on my experience with Audi North Dublin is here. Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A service is a couple of filters and an oil change, if your paying anymore than €300 you are been bent over.

Advertisement