Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axa new car write off

Options
  • 12-02-2024 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hello,

Unfortunately my parents have an almost-new car (231 reg) that has been written off. Insurance is with Axa and they have "New car replacement" coverage which apparently replaces the car like-for-like providing it's under a year old.

Has anyone gone through this process? They are being quite vague about the whole thing and have confirmed that we are eligible for a new car, but in parallel keep talking about settlement figures.

The whole process is definitely wearing my parents down at this point, so I'm hoping someone has past experience they can share.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are your parents ok, how long has been it been since the accident, I'd talk to a solicitor.

Was another car involved, is there insurance company also axa, I'd thread slowly if so with any settlement. An injury can take a while to manifest and if my experience is anything to go by they'll try and get you to settle in full before you even know the extent of the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Yes, they are fine. No injuries thankfully. It was a single car accident that happened approximately a month ago.

The settlement figures being discussed are relating to the value of the car, but since it's under a year old they should be offering a replacement and not monetary compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is the monetary compensation figure sufficient to buy the car new again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Print off the full terms and conditions of the policy and make an appointment with your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I remember someone with a similar case and the normal insurance covered the market value of the car with additional new for old policy covering the shortfall to new invoice so maybe AXA are operating something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some people might want the money, it's not restricting them to the same car. It's what ever they would prefer

Car accidents injuries can take a while to appear and can start to get worse over time. Your dad or mum might notice it until they starts getting the garden in order once the weather settles.

Settle the car side now but definitely don't settle the whole claim as the injuries might not be apparent yet.

No, which is our issue. Time to talk to a solicitor, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Has it got to that point though? Do you need that sledgehammer and the cost involved just yet?

Your OP said they have confirmed you are entitled to a new car and are also talking settlement figures. Are you sure they are not just making you 2 offers to choose from?

Say a brand new VW ID3 or a cash settlement of 32k for example? Whichever they prefer. Sounds that way from reading it.

I think may be just a lack of communication causing a bit of stress here? They are not easy to deal with that for sure, I have had to do it a few times with work vehicles accident and they would drive you mad being slow to respond to anything.

The primary issue is a lack of transparency and unwillingness to put anything in writing. They keep calling in the middle of the workday and it's hard for my parents to digest what they are saying.

It's probably true that there are two lines of communication, I might try and talk to them directly to at least get some straight answers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I appreciate where you are coming from and I often have to deal with matters for older relatives. (GDPR should be consigned to the bin). Unfortunately, the claim handler can only deal with this during the working day. Next time the call, ask your parents to nominate you to discuss the claim with them. Perhaps you can get a clearer picture about what is going on.

• Advertisement

They should offer you the market rate for the car. It may not be what it was bought for a year ago but you can get some examples of same model with similar spec and mileage as there should be some wiggle room.

You said it was a single car accident , what did the car hit to cause it to be a write off was it a third party’s property etc?

Its a fairly straight forward process claiming for a write off off insurance, you can always appoint an independent assessor at your own expense to check over the car as it may be able to be repaired, it just might not economically make sense for the repairer.

With regards to claims, generally you have a claims handler who basically needs to get approval from a manager each step of the way, I can tell you from experience, being as patient and flexible as possible will get you the best result.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Casati

No harm to get a quote from a dealer for the exact same replacement new car if you haven’t done so already. Are they supplied with a rental car in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Are you referring to the original invoice cost or the cost to buy the same new today?

Was there a price drop in the past 12 months for example meaning that a new car today would cost less than it did 12 moths ago, therefore it appears that your parents are being offered less than the cost of a new one, but they are actually being offered the retail price of one today?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Google 'delay, deny, defend' and you will see that it suits insurance companies to grind customers down and every day your claim cost is sitting in their bank, it's earning money. This may seem trivial, but if they have 100 claims with a liability total of say one million euro.... then the interest on €1m is saving them money..... it all adds up.

Where is the car now? If they have the car, ask can you have it back until the case is settled and see what reaction you get ;-).

Stick to your guns and demand full replacement, tell them you are recording all calls and correspondence as you want to have a clear timeline of events as they happen.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealt with Axa before, not as a client but as a third party claimant. Nightmare to deal with, their client accepted liability no problem but Axa used stalling tactics and poor communication resulting in me having to wait ages to get the go ahead to have my car repaired. Had to go the legal route in the end and suddenly things moved swiftly but they ended up paying my legal fees too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance forum mods?

They are not being offered the current retail price of a replacement vehicle. As @Dtoffee mentioned they seem to be dragging their feet as a standard business practice.

I'll ask to be added to the claim so that I can discuss directly with them, and start recording calls/conversations if they don't want to put anything in writing.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They will probably settle for the cash value rather than provide a car

They’d have to provide a valuation as to where that’s coming from. It’s hard to help without knowing the make model spec and mileage but if you’re saying they aren’t offering the retail value have you checked this on donedeal? How far were they away? You have to allow for depreciation, but get some examples then ask them where they got their valuation from.

It costs insurers far more to keep a claim open, compared to boxing it off quickly. Staff wages, legal costs and repair inflation while a claim is ongoing can be significant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

OP stated that it's a new car with "New car replacement" cover so Donedeal is not relevant.

OP can get a quotation from a main dealer. The only difficulty I anticipate is if the particular model has been discontinued.

It’s not a new car though it’s one year old. I mentioned donedeal as you can get prices from dealers on there and show what the current value of the car is.

without more specific details it’s difficult to assist any further with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BornSkippy

You say Axa confirmed your parents are entitled to a new car under the policy?

Was this in writing or over the phone?

Either way, refer to this at all times when speaking to Axa and ask when and how it will fulfill this.

If you don't get a straight answer, ask for the matter to be escalated within the Claims Team/Department. The person you're dealing with may simply not have a clue.

If you don't get satisfaction, commence the complaints process. It will take a few months before you can escalate to the FSPO. So no reason not to start as soon as possible. I wouldn't accept a delay of more than a couple of weeks without a specific reason, like they're waiting on an Assessor's or Investigator's report.

https://www.fspo.ie/make-a-complaint/how-to-make-a-complaint-to-the-fspo/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭maidhc

AXA are the worst of a very bad lot to deal with as far as insurance companies go. They delay, refuse to payout, undervalue, you name it.

Go to a solicitor.

A strongly worded phone call and threats of legal action seems to have moved things along. They have agreed to a like-for-like replacement, but we'll see how long that takes to materialise.

Again, really appreciate everyone's input on this. Will keep FSPO and solicitor options in mind if they don't move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

From the March 2023 AXA insurance policy booklet, the last three lines may be key here, there is a limitation if the same car of the same specification is not available

"Replacing your car with a new one Please check your schedule as you may not have this cover.

We will replace your car with a new one of the same make, model and specification if the car is:

▶ stolen and not recovered within 28 days, or

▶ damaged so that repairs will cost more than 60% of the manufacturer’s retail list (including taxes and the cost of accessories) at the time of the loss or damage.

We will only do this if:

▶ the loss or damage happens before your car is one year old

▶ you have owned the car or hired it under a hire-purchase agreement since it was first registered as new and

▶ you, and anyone else we know who has an interest in your car, agree.

If a replacement car of the same make, model and specification is not available, the most we will pay is:

▶ the market value of your car and its fitted accessories and spare parts at the time of the loss or damage, or

▶ the manufacturer’s retail price of your car when you bought it less 10%, whichever is higher."

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

And yet they do it regularly and still show healthy profits at the end of each year.

Yes, they make big profits, delaying payments is not a factor. You need to understand the restrictions on what you're allowed do with claim reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

I chose AXA one year for insurance-their quote was about e50 higher than the next quote but they had an office not far away.That was an advantage in my view.Any chance the op is near one of their offices-go in with parents and take up residence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭Sono

Absolutely no need to involve any solicitor to deal with a motor claim. they are simply adding needless costs to the process.

Advertisement