Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just passed test driving solo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Years ago I was stopped by a Guard to whom I explained i was waiting for my licence but have a certificate of competency.

his reply was what I had was a piece of paper and what I needed was a Licence.

He didnt take further action

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

What are the chances of being pulled over these days anyway? I have been driving for 28 years and only been stopped 3 time, all at Garda checkpoints (Tax and Drink Driving). I can't even remember when the last time I came across a checkpoint was so I imagine the chance that the OP will be stopped and checked before their full licence arrives in the post are minimal.

Also, Gardaí don't seize cars when someone does not have a licence on them, unless they are an unlicenced driver of course, but then the likelihood of having Tax, Insurance and NCT is quite low in that circumstance. You will be asked to produce your licence at a Garda station within 10 days.

Enforcement, in general, is a joke in this country so as long as the car is taxed, insured and has a valid NCT, it will likely be fine. Just don't draw attention to yourself on the road by acting the maggot.

yeah I reckon I’m fine anyway. As has been said they can easily check on their phone if you have a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redneck Avenger

While the certificate of competency is not a licence as required by law to drive alone, I think the odds of you needing to show your licence between now and receiving you licence are less then 1%.

Congrats by the way on passing your test.

I reckon you are right! Suppose to be fair I’ve been stopped twice in 2 years once for a drink driving test and once for a tax/insurance/NCT checkpoint.

both times within a few weeks of each other but since then.. nada.

also thank you!! 🥳

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Licence arrived today! 😎🥳

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wytek

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get those N-plates up! Remember you're a Novice now... 😀

Not your ornery onager

Had them up since last monday. 🤣 braved driving since Wednesday said if I get stopped I’ll take the chance couldn’t be bothered walking to work anymore. 😆

• Advertisement
Advertisement