Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PCP Details

Options
  • 12-02-2024 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bought an EV and PCP amount was 42000. Noticed my statement they have added interest and showing opening balance as 42000 plus 5k as interest.

I cannot get my head around how can they show opening balance as 47k? Interest is 5k over next 40 months. They are reducing EMI from 47k and after 8 months I'm around 42k in outstanding which should have been opening balance. Rate of interest is 4.99%

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was it advertised as zero % interest or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭dubliniift

It was 4.90. But 5k is interst over 40 months. How can they add it to opening balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

That's just the way it's accounted for as technically that's what you're liable for.

If you were to request a mid term settlement value it would usually include a discount on the total interest to reflect the shortened period of the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I thought this was normal? I have had car finance in the past that front loaded all the interest into the opening balance and then I paid it off as usual. The repayment should still be what you agreed with the PCP provider anyway. Has your repayment changed as a result? If not, then I would not worry about it. I bet there is something in the agreement you signed that states this will be done.

It is a little sneaky with a standard car finance loan though (not PCP) as there is then no incentive for you to pay the loan back earlier to save on interest as you have already been charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭JVince

That's how most fixed rate loans are calculated.

As there are no variables, they know the full cost for the entire period of the loan from day one.

If you paid off early they would give a rebate on some of the interest. Its not sneaky in any way, it just how it is done and has been done for decades.

If anything it is very transparent as you know precisely how much interest and fees you are paying. Nothing hidden. No surprises.

• Advertisement

I suspect the way it's laid out like that is to a) provide clarity on the loan structure, b) to show the payments over the fixed term and c) to inflate the total at the start to aid with combatting the "half rule" on finance agreements.

EG where C is the capital and I is the total compound interest owing on the term, it is better (for the finance compay) for the total owing at the start to be C+I as opposed to C, then you need to repay ((C+I)/2) instead of just C/2, to hand the car back - excluding any PCP hand backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Both interest doesn’t really work like that

say you pay €500 amomth

1 at month is 4.9% of 40,000

2nd month is 4.9% of 39,500

3rd month it’s 4.9% of 39,000

4th month it’s 4,9% of 38,500

and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

PCP has a front loaded interest with majority of it coming from GMFV lump sum. Your montly repayments cointain the interest paid on the 42k from day 1. Some serious amount of interest though.

There's a misconception out there that the PCP interest doesn't include the GFMV. The interest is compound and is assessed on the total amount outstanding which includes the GFMV. As you say, serious interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Yep, low monthly payments is the lure. I just had a discussion with a colleague about pcp vs hp. She is paying ab 4k in interest on a 18k car on HP. She had no idea how both of these financial products work. BTW VW ads for ID range have now 4.9% pcp with repayments under 400pm. The devil is in detail - 30% deposit, 50% GMFV and 3.5k in interest. FML. And the montly also includes a service plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

PCP = paddy can't pay

Is that why it's popular in UK and is the only real way cars are financed in the US too?

Paddy can pay. But doesn’t see the point in tying up cash. And is protected from depreciation unlike cash buyers

indeed, it's there for people who can't afford the cars they are driving

no, but PCP is there for people who can't afford the cars they are driving, not that all people using PCP cannot afford their cars

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Ev fan

Per definitelynotaguru (UK) leasing can be a very affordable way of having a car - provided of course you can get the right type of reasonable lease deal. Also apparently some lease companies will quote you a figure if you wanted to buy the car off them at the end of the lease period. I have no idea what leasing is like in the Irish market

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aaronder

Outdated POV - PCP is useful for lots of people. Most people wouldnt have 40 or 50k lying around for a car, but can easily afford PCP payments?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

PCP is just a mix between a lease where all the equity is held by the leasing company, and a hire purchase agreement where you end up owning the car. It always makes me laugh when people will judge others over the use of financial instruments that both the seller and purchaser are happy with.

• Advertisement

If you had 50k in cash you’d be better off putting to use and buying on PCP, especially when 0% offers are around.

how many cash buyers have lost out because of depreciation where PCP folks are safe

also 50k off a 30 year mortgage at 3% gives a much use if it

not judging at all. it enables people to drive cars they would be unable to afford normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

I had the money (well tradein plus cash) but went PCP as I was getting an EV and wasnt sure how the whole EV thing was going to go over the life of the PCP, plus the interest was 2.9%. My concern was that the government might mess up rolling out infra and EV value would drop due to lack of interest, didnt anticipate the manufacturer price wars but its the same result as regards depreciation

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭dubliniift

That is unsual as mortgage accounting is different. Thanks for the explain. Gives me comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Think that’s bull for the most part, money isn’t there for the car full stop but the 3 or 400 euro monthly payment capacity is. Kick the can down the road with the final payment. Shock horror 3 years down the road your pulled into another PCP as why would you want to stump up a lump sum for an old smelly car 🙈 and so on the cycle of goes.

now you can say oh I but I wanted the 50k to invest or put the money to work in some other way. But I think if your that way inclined you wouldn’t be wasting money on highly depreciating asset in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 just4klix

Hi All,

I looked into the PCP thread on the main motors forum but could not find much about EV specific situations. Since the price of new cars has dropped significantly compared to 212/221 reg cars prices, I want to how did people here manage at the end of PCP? I have an M3 financed by finance ireland. It does not say anything about GFMV just says 'balance payment' at the end of 36 months. Many years ago OH's Toyota's PCP offer had two separate entries - GFMV and Balance payment, where the GFMV was 6k more than balance amount. I understand the difference between the two will be equity for next PCP contract. I am unable to figure out how it works in Tesla's case. I wanted to know how yous got on with the PCP at the end?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

At the end of a PCP you have 3 options, buy the car for the final payment (aka GMFV). Sell the car to a dealer, any value over the GMFV can be used as a trade in or returned to you as cash. The final option is to just hand the car back and pay any overage fee's if you went over the agreed annual mileage.

If you don't want to keep the car and the dealer offer is below the amount of the GMFV + overage fees you are better off going with the hand it back option.

At the end of the PCP term, GMFV and balance payment are exactly the same thing. I'm not sure why Toyota were listing them as different on your previous PCP deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RK73

Is that with BoI? I've queried my early settlement amount with them, as they seem to do likewise. Works out about €600 more than a straightforward compound interest calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That really is an outdated view. What you are saying is most people can't afford to buy a house, because they borrow from the bank and pay monthly for 20-40 years. Would you say the same for people paying more on rent than a mortgage payment? Both are paying to have a roof over their head. Only one ends up with the deeds of the property.

One can't afford something when their regular income is not enough to cover the payments. It's silly to tie up cash in savings that have ultra low returns below inflation.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Delighted with 0% PCP on our ID.3. Car is far from perfect, and don't know if we'll keep it at the end of the deal, but for now it suits us perfectly.

Gave the absolute minimum up front, as what's the point in them having our money when we're not saving anything, and paying the balance monthly.

Free charging in work sweetens the deal even further.

Advertisement