Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value areas in Dublin

Options
  • 11-02-2024 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭

What are some areas people would recommend as good value areas to buy an apartment or house in Dublin for a single person?

The only criteria would be that it is within the bounds of the M50 as I would need to commute to the city centre for work a few days per week. Open areas for walking would be the next on the Wishlist and everything else I would be flexible with.

I started out looking in South Dublin but quickly realized this was outside my budget (~€350k for a 2-bed) so switched focus to Dublin 5, 7, 12. It seems that everyone is now looking in these areas so I'm now considering anywhere else that might be suitable. Is Dublin 15 the next best option?

Post edited by Patsy167 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

South East Dublin is the best area but is also the most expensive.

D12 sounds like a decent bet after that though.

D15 is functional but a little sterile. Mostly just housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A friend who is newly single following marriage break up bought a house in Dublin 20. Palmerstown, the old part. He used to live in Celbridge Kildare. It's a solid house built in the late 60s I think, and is right beside the M50, Liffey Valley, bus to town on bus lane all the way (when you can get on a bus that is!), and shops Super Valu and Aldi, Tesco in Liffey Valley etc. Short walk to Phoenix Park via Chapelizod and a great open park by the Liffey at Waterstown.

Now I don't live there, so I can't say more, except he thought he got great value for his money for a house within the M50 ring. Just a thought for you to have a look if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15 is a good option with property prices being lower than the Dublin average. There are good transport links rail ,bus and motorway. Also the following

1. Blanchardstown Shopping Centre
    2. Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown
    3. National Aquatic Centre
    4. National Sports Campus
    5. Blanchardstown institute of technology
    6. Draíocht Arts Centre
    7. Leisureplex Blanchardstown
    8. Various Parks and Recreational Spaces (Tolka Valley Park, Millennium Park, Royal Canal Greenway)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

Depends on the budget and size.

Best value is a one bed as banks require higher deposit and traditionally people say it's a waste.

But with so many singles out there (incl separated people) and many couples not wanting children, there will always be demand.

So if you have a decent deposit (25-30%) you may find something in Dublin 14 or 16.

Some 1 beds have the same floor area as many 2 beds and could lend themselves to reconfiguration (subject to planning)

Look for 55sqm +

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Most of Dublin 15 is outside m50 isn't it? If you're happy to be outside it a bit and commute by public transport into Dublin, particularly by train, look into Lucan and the north Kildare towns of Leixlip, Maynooth, celbridge. Just a few extra minutes on train compared to d15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

You don’t mention your budget OP but as someone currently selling a rental property in D5 I couldn’t recommend it enough. There’s good value to be had especially apartments around the Watermill Rd in Rahway with St Anne’s Park, Dollymount and the Dart on your doorstep

I originally bought there on my own coming from the Southside and lived there for a good few years before meeting my wife. We both lived there for 2 years and really enjoyed it. Nice mature area with lots of restaurants and pubs within walking distance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I haven't considered Dublin 5 but will certainly take a look now. My budget would be c.€350k for a 2-bed (preferably).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Santry? I know OP was asking about areas inside M50, but Swords and Donabate are well served by quick public transport to the city and budget might go further

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rowantree18

I'd second Raheny. There's still some value to be found and it's a very settled and "nice" area. St. Anne's Park, the Clontarf seafront, Bull Island, Howth all in easy reach. Very close to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

You might get a 2 bed apt, or a nice 1 bed for 350 in Dundrum, or somewhere further out on the green line Luas. Would probably take a while, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

You would get better return for your money in North county Dublin i.e. Lusk or Rush. If I had that budget that's were I would be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

East wall. Close to city centre and becoming very gentrified - it’s been sited as one of those places where are still good value but will provide a great return on investment as it gentrifies - close to docklands.

That’s a good shout because it’s on the dart line at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

You will get a decent 2-bed apartment for €350k around Shankill, Cabinteely, Carrickmines etc.

Is it not still a bit rough though?

Its great that it is being gentrified but the north inner city still has a way to go to mirror south east Dublin i would say.

That said, prices are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

The dart doesn't run to Rush and Lusk. It's the commuter service but it's only 30 mins from Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Not an attractive looking block as older but top area, definitely better area than some cited above. 2 bedrooms in your budget.

Living the life

Just a little bit. But slightly rough (though many are old people) and close to city is better than the likes of finglas and tallaght and Blanchard town which are far out and much rougher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

Look at Bray. V easy commute to city centre, great outdoor spaces and loads of other amenities (independent shops, sports clubs, restaurants etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Beaumont, several bus routs, near town, it's got lots going for it, very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Don't think you'll be getting too much around Watermill Road or Raheny village for that price as was suggested. The Raheny is a hidden gem that's still relatively good value thing might have been true about 5 years ago, but it's now very expensive. With good reason; it's a beautiful part of Dublin.

I've a cousin working as an agent for one of the big franchises, and he says Raheny is as hot a market as they've seen along the Dart line for the past few years. People who grew up in Sutton, Howth, Clontarf etc all buying there if they can't purchase in their own area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

I'd go left field and look at Sallins.

Extremely regular train service and good choice of property in that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Blanchardstown and Tallaght are very large areas with large populations. Its joust to general to say its "rough" you just cant compare to such a small area

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Donabate / Portrane another to look at in the North County. A lot of new apartments being built here at the moment and considering it's only the other side of an estuary from Malahide, the price differential is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Buy in Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Malahide is overrated. The amount of developments that look over Swords Shopping Mall and call themselves Malahide is hilarious.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 reactadabtc

Malahide is a nice spot, but not value for money.

Swords, Kinsealy, Baldoyle are all good spots, but going even further North to Donabate, Rush and Lusk are good. You could go even further and look at Laytown / Bettystown. There is a train there.

Advertisement