Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Return a car?

Options
  • 10-02-2024 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All.

My parents bought a 2nd hand car on Hire Purchase last week. Unfortunately the car is to advance for them with it being an automatic etc. They're elderly people they just cannot handle this car at all.

They are going back to the garage next week to discuss their options but are we at the mercy of the garage now or is there any buyers protection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

Automatics are easier to drive than manual. Are you sure it's not another reason they do not want the car anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭User1998

No buyers protection as theres nothing actually wrong with the car. They’ll probably loose a couple of grand trading it back in.

What car is it? Is there a chance they could get used to driving it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yes automatic is easier alright but they've used a manual all their lives and they just cannot handle the automatic. I cannot get it to click with them that the brake is the new clutch in a sense

It's a Renault Captur and I dont think there's anyway to get them use to it especially my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

Well best option is sell it privately than handing it back for less then you paid. You are still going to lose money which ever way you go. Unfortunately they should have test drove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder what kind of "technique" the salesman used to get shot of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

If it was bought on hire purchase, it may be difficult to sell a car with finance owed. Finance company retain ownership of the car until full payment has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If they genuinely can't figure out an automatic car then maybe they shouldn't be driving.

But I doubt this is the case, so just give them time.

Brake is the new clutch is a new one to me, they're not trying to left foot brake are they? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

Garage might work out a deal for a more suitable car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That does sound confusing. They should forget they have a left foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

My dad was in the same position and closing in on his 80's. Sold his Auris manual and switched to a Corolla hatch which is auto. He got the.salesman to deliver it to the house and then spent 2 days practising locally on roads he knows. It is like second nature now and wouldn't go back to manual. Told him to tuck his left foot under the seat to get used to right foot only and not accidentally stomp on the brake thinking it's a clutch. A few days like that and he was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Only problem is the Renault Captur history will show very recent change of ownership which should raise questions with a new buyer, as well as an extra owner, so there will need to be a significant financial penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Old dog, new tricks I suppose.

OP, they managed to buy this car themselves.

Their options now are:

1) Switch back to a manual at whatever that costs

or

2) Get a driving instructor to give to a lesson each on driving an auto.

This might sound harsh but they are both grown adults, leave them to it. Don’t get involved beyond that advice, if even.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It can take some people a bit of time when changing.

Have you tried going out with them to practice or somebody else.

The brake is the new clutch would today confuse me.

Would they consider a few driving lessons.

Have they looked at YouTube Videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,339 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just to be clear they are only using their right foot for the brake and acceleration?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Telling them the brake is the new clutch was a huge error. Just don't use your left foot at all. I think you've managed to muddy the waters. More and more elderly people are switching to automatic as they are easier to drive.

I think a driving instructor is a very good idea, I'm going to recommend that route

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭User1998

Brake is the new clutch is probably the worst piece of advice possible. The only piece of advice you need is to completely forget about your left foot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Spancil the left foot back to the seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They are probably best to persist with the car because eventually get the hang of it, having an auto as a daily car makes driving so much easier. The dealer might be understanding enough to do a deal on another car

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know a few elderly drivers who extended their driving career by several years due to changing to automatic.

They can't cut out because there is no need for co-ordination of clutch and accelerator.

The car will work for them if you can get someone who knows how to drive one to help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

I had the same problem the very first time I drove an automatic, after years of manual one is almost on auto pilot (pardon pun) and the left foot tends to look for the clutch pedal especially when slowing down and instead the brake gets the full wallop. Not funny if another vehicle is tailgating at the time.

Like everything in life practice makes perfect. So my advice is to top up the fuel tank and go for long drives on Saturdays & Sundays when roads are quieter. Both parents must take turns at stop starting, pulling away from kerb, reversing etc. You must join them to reassure them and perhaps shout out instructions from the back seat. 😉 It may help if they placed their left foot in a cardboard box while driving - it would send a little signal to the brain that the foot was now redundant and not required. After a weekend of two practicing advise them both to go for a daily drive for a week or two and every second and third day after until it's second nature to them. Once they get hooked on automatic they'll never go back.

The break is not the new clutch. If that's the advice they got then they are left foot breaking which is not how you drive automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I would suggest that anybody but the OP accompanies them, as the OP doesn't seem to get Automatic driving either.

If you dont have any constructive to say, why are you posting in this thread?

Actually I've been an automatic driver for years if you must know.

I was trying my best to explain to them that there's no clutch pedal anymore and you never have to use your left foot and everything is done with the right foot but you still have to hold down the break to use the shifter and came up with the process that if you want to go from R to D think of the break similar to a clutch where you hold in the break and now you can decide what gear you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

came up with the process that if you want to go from R to D think of the break similar to a clutch where you hold in the break and now you can decide what gear you want.

That's an awful way to describe driving an auto. Saying the brake is the clutch is what's confusing them.

The easiest way to learn to drive an auto is to keep you left foot as far from the pedals as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cable tie their left foot to the seat and oretend it's a go kart with a go and brake pedal, don't mention a clutch, it won't work. Took my partner longer than expected to learn but once it clicked, it's done, they'll never go back.

Unfortunately they were well confused before I got involved i'm afraid. The hardest part for them getting their head around the shifting. When you've driving manuals for over 50 years trying to learn something else is difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭_H80_GHT

I'd tend to agree with you but I've experienced one coffin dodger who was an excellent driver but he just couldn't get to grips with an auto, no matter how much he tried. It was like watching my 4 year old girl try to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

My mum hated her new automatic initially. Within a month she wondered why she didn't change years previously.

Point and go driving.

Great for urgent stops - it won't cut out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement