Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on here???

Options
  • 10-02-2024 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Parents recently had a new bathroom installed. New shower,sink and toilet also. They now have a new and reaxurring issue. Low water/pressure to trickle in cold tap and toilet taking an age to fill up and then shower stops working. Builders came out and fixed saying it was air lock. Its never happened and they in house over 30 years. Any ideas what the core reason for this is so we can get a proper fix on it? Any feedback appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Shoog

Airlocks can happen in a cold water system, once they are flushed Syphon action keeps them from coming back.

I had a cold tap airlock after remodelling the bathroom and the cure was as simple as using the hot tap to linked to the cold to force it out. Only happened once.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Thanks! Will trybthat, this is fourth time in a few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

We've only one tap, so need to use hose to connect ho to another tap I believe? Wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If it's a mixer tap you might be able to just block the outlet and turn on the water halfway between hot and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’s possible the builder didn’t leave the taps on long enough to clear the airlock fully.

As mentioned above, if it’s a mixer tap, just put your finger over the outlet and turn on the tap in the middle so the hot water is forced back up the cold line.

In my case, I could hear it clearing the air along the line, but had to do it again a few days later as I hadn’t left it long enough to fully clear the air. No problem with it since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are most likely getting the airlock because the cold water tank isn't filling fast enough. The water level drops, sucks in air & the tank fills again.

If they installed a pump then this would explain how it's only happening since they left. It could also be a faulty ballcock on the cold water tank or even a water leak on the road somewhere, reducing the water filling the tank.

Solution can be as simple as replacing the ballcock or as expensive as adding a larger or 2nd cold water tank in the attic

Advertisement