Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Italy - Sunday 15:00. VM1.

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Whether its a World cup hangover, or lack of quality of opposition, I cant get excited about this tournament. Hats of to the Irish they have been great, but the world cup is the big one, and we have to wait another 4 years . Bar Ireland and maybe Scotland this tournament has been very poor, so far

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

I was with you up until you started wallowing in pathetic negativity at "we are never to win it". We narrowly lost a QF to a NZ team playing out of their skin in one of the best RWC games ever. If any player in our squad had that mindset they'd watch their international career end very fast. Win a GS this year then we've another three years to reload and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

Byrne did play very flat to the line and threw some nice passes but I wouldn't say it was all positive. He didn't appear to be doing much to impose structure on our backline, he got in his forwards way at times in attack, and some of his passes were shovelling ball rather than adding value. Between the ragged Italians and our substitutions the game had lost some structure. He gets some leeway as a result but I don't think I learned much more about him.

Edit: I don't actually care who has the 10 jersey so long as we can get two or more quality options into competition with eachother while we develop our other talent in the club game.

Post edited by conncussed on

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I think Italy went into that game half heartedly. For them they need to focus all their energy on picking off one team and Ireland is not it. I think irelands current dominance brings either an incredible performance or a weak one. I think England will raise their performance massively for us, and it won’t be as easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Not anymore consider how useless England, Scotland, Wales and Italy are and the French just don’t care this year. Ireland were 4/6 for Slam after France game. Not that much of an achievement tbh to win GS this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭phog

5 Irish players make the MO team of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's a huge achievement. Winning back to back would be record breaking and a massive boost for rugby in ireland

I can't over estimate how big it would be to win a second Grand Slam

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty weird take to suggest doing something that has never been done is not an achievement.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,003 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ireland were 2/1 to win the grand slam BEFORE the France game. France were favourites to win.

it's ridiculous to downplay the achievement of winning away in france by a record score, and put us on the path of another record (B2BGS).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, it is extremely easy not to win a grand slam or the championship. We have a hundred years plus of experience at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

I know what you are saying about my comment but maybe we as a nation become too obsessed of trying to win the world cup when we haven't gone past the QF stage of Rugby World Cup? I think there is a pressure built up about the team that they don't perform. NZ were poor that night but we found some way to lose that game from moments like Sexton being unusually nervous and missing a penalty kick to Sheehan not getting the ball down on the try line to the malfunctioning lineout and to Doris trying to catch a route ball and making a meal out of it and knocks it on. Yes we lost narrowly but that's the margins that counts and you don't get those chances too many times. We are not yet totally comfortable of playing in the world cup and it reminds me of Ireland in the 2000s when we tried desperately before winning a Triple Crown to getting over the line against Wales in 2009 GS. You need a breakthrough and hopefully one day we do it in a World Cup. Until then I am happy for Ireland to dominate the 6 nations. It wont be long before England Wales and France start winning championships and Grand Slams again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

A GS this year would be a huge achievement, particularly as it would mean beating France and England away. We also have a good opportunity to do a Perfect Slam and given the attacks were are yet to face, we could potentially set a record for lowest points conceded. Winning a GS is one thing but doing it in emphatic fashion would be incredible.

Obviously the team's sole focus is this year's competition but given France and England will come to Dublin next year, 3 in a row would certainly be a realistic goal. A lot will happen before that but my point is that a GS this year would be a step towards this Irish team becoming the most successful team in the competition's history. More high potential youngsters will be integrated into the squad over the next couple of years, coming into such a winning environment would be a big help for them. Another GS would be a fantastic base to build from for the next WC cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Having just read this from the start, the moaning about players Conan useless and Casey to be hooked off and Byrne so flat and great and Jack not up to the standard. the game was won and the management got to look at different players in a six nations game and see how lads performed in switched positions, this was a great opportunity to do this and learn, Ireland at present have a great squad of players for all positions and lots of back up, Andy has to be very happy what he seen and going forward to tougher games, Irish rugby is in a good place at the moment with the under 20 performances for the future, less moaning during a game and watch the whole game and at the end of day it’s the winning result that matters, have yet to see the perfect game without a knock on or penalties conceded or kicks missed, enjoy the rugby. A GS would be brilliant for this group of players that’s evolving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

NZ weren't poor. It was possibly their best performance in the entire cycle since the previous world cup - something I am sure our series win down there played a part in.

Also it was Kelleher who didn't get the ball down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

NZ made 0 handling errors in that game and were strong in the lineout, scrum and breakdown. It's foolish to imagine they were poor.

Advertisement