Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VODAFONE FTTH SPEED FLUCTUATIONS

Options
  • 09-02-2024 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I am experiencing some issues with our Vodafone 500 Mb FTTH of late. Of late the download speeds are fluctuating widely, via Wi-Fi and cable connection, when tested on Ookla Speed Test depending on the test server used. For example, using Vodafone.ie as the test server I am getting download speeds ranging from 18.6 to 71.1 Mbps. However, if I use the Three Ireland, Eir or BT Ireland servers I am getting speeds of between 360 and 475 Mbps.

The poor speeds are causing buffeting when using our Firestick.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, is there a solution.  

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Some of the speedtest servers are crap, if it picks PQ.hosting or Warian I never get a good score, but always do from the likes of Blacknight or BT Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BeerFarts

Are you sure it's the connection causing buffering on the firestick and not the TV service/streaming app you're using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

It could well be the streaming service. I can view in SD ok but HD buffets all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭jj880

you rebooted router?

Yes, several times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 pablo don

Hi all

Any resolution to this from Vodafone, currently having same issue, Vodafone are useless and sent out tech who cancelled 3 times and then left new modem at my door and ran.

Cant watch anything at all, as it just buffering.vodafone just keep saying line is fine and their latest one is that eir are restricting them on their lines/, network.

In the Dodgy Box Clampdown thread a user got over this by getting a new router (TP Link Archer AX55) to replace Vodafone's Gigabox router. Have a read here:

In my case, the problem seems to have been resolved. I don't know whether the ISP found a fault & fixed it or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

I am having the same issue with vodafone. Download speed was consistently 450mb+ on wifi speedtest app tests.

Now it goes as low as 18mb on tests. Vodafone Customer support have said it is a nationwide issue and I will be credited when the issue is rectified. I am out of contract about 6 weeks and have now cancelled the direct debit as it has gone from €30 pm to €45pm, reluctant to renew until rectified.

Streaming skips, kids gaming dropping off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

if out of contract just move to another provider. sky and pure are both €30 for 12 months 500mb package. Both very reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Noticed same here. Started using my own router and i get correct speeds - that gigabox has some issue but they aren't admitting it. Supposed to have a "technician" calling out in a weeks time not sure what magic they are supposed to perform.

My parents have VF 500mb fibre. Ive noticed with their fibre if you dont split out the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies into seperate SSIDs that certain devices wont even connect to it. Some features of the gigabox (standard features in most other routers) are locked as upsells (the main being "super" wifi). Its pretty miserable from VF as you either pay for the upgrade, hack the gigabox (requires some tech knowledge) or buy a new router.

I have managed to have a pretty robust network using the gigabox with my network split into 2 separate SSIDs and connecting different devices to each that perform better on different frequencies.

2.4ghz gigabox wifi network 1 SSID: VODAFONE-D3H7

5ghz gigabox wifi network 2 SSID: VODAFONE-D3H75G

Might not solve issues for everyone but worth a try before buying a new router.

If you want some further reading on this look here =⇒

Full thread:

SSID split fix:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yip - Im in carrigaline, co. cork. On Gigabit Broadband ( Voda/Siro fibre over esb ).

Last few days all of a sudden its started randomly dropping. I also note our speed over wifi is down to mid 40s, before that was getting around 400mbps. However if i wire to the router direct I get 755mbps.

I have been using TPLINK Archer T9uh wifi dongle. Maybe thats on the fritz, however when I us my phone as a hotspot, it all works fine.

I do note for last few weeks Voda are having issues as detailed by Down detector:

Thanks for the reply - forgot to mention running tests on ethernet connection.

Network issues - doesn't explain why it works fine with my own linksys router but not the vodafone provided one?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

I'm seeing a variation of this and I believe it is due to an update VF must have made to the Gigabox modem because it only started happening the past month or so. Basically when the ONT / Gigabox modem reboot together say due to a power cut when the modem comes back - power, internet, phone, wifi lights illuminated and solid the speed test (Fast.com / Ookla etc.) via LAN is below 100 MB/sec where as normally it would be 500 - 600 Mb/Sec.

What I have found works is to power the Gigabit modem and ONT off. Power on the ONT and wait till 2 lights illuminated and leave it a few mins then power on the VF Gigabit modem which will cause the third ONT light to illuminate. I have had to do this twice and each time it has worked basically power on from the outside in so to speak ONT then Gigabox Modem.

Sounds like the ONT and Gigabox are only linking at 100 Mb when both are booted from cold. Have you tried replacing the cable between them as a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Yip swapped the cable alright. Next step is to try a different Gigabox modem.

Not even using the gigabox and there's still speed issues. This is a Vodafone problem not a router issue. Most people don't notice they are not getting the speeds advertised at all. Vodafone are con artists unfortunately.

Im on a 90Mb line with VF. Pretty sure its FTTC. Think I'll be sticking for it for a year or 2 yet. More than enough for our needs and so far reliable.

With the FTTH packages do customers think its definitely a case of VF over selling or has our broadband infrastructure been neglected and it's unable to handle the traffic? Or a combination of both?

• Advertisement

I think Vodafone's infrastructure on the backend is crumbling under the pressure - there was a network outage at 11 this morning and my 500mb download hasn't been up over 20mbs since. No amount of rebooting is going to fix it. BTW my connection was running at 500mbs prior to the outage.

Hmmm... probably going to get worse. Everyone I know signing up to VF fibre. Granted Im in a rural area thats just been upgraded. Im out of contract with Vodafone end of May. Might leave it a few months before another contract. See how my line is at the end of Summer.

The customer support appears to be good until you need to actually resolve the problem - then it's just fob off after fob off after that. I logged a formal complaint today with VF. According to comreg recomendations I need to do that first then it's 10 days after that before I can open a case with comreg. I think I'd avoid VF like the plague if my contract was due for renewal. Although the scandal with Eir makes me wonder where to go.

I've had Digiweb for almost a year now, couldn't fault them.

You just reminded me I messaged them last year about their fritzbox routers. They should have them upgraded to AX by now. Will see what they're offering end of May.

Heres the email for anyone interested:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Digiwebs website does say that SIRO comes with Fastest WiFi 6 powered by FritzBox 7530 AX but it doesn't mention Fritzbox 7530 AX on OpenEir FTTH pricing or the FTTC pricing. Would definitely be worth checking with them though because I found Digiweb very good and by far the best support team of them all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Vodafone have been horrendous the last month, I rang them a month ago and they were aware of an issue and apparently will be fixed in 2 days. I have to ring them again this evening as its 100% a VF issue as my speeds are now between 12mb and 20mb on a 500mb connection, its not good enough now and the last month better be refunded.

Here's what Im getting offered from digiweb for my eircode.

No SIRO offered to me but seems to include a wifi-6 Fritz!Box.

Ive always interchanged the terms wifi 6 and AX?

I'll double check when ordering in the Summer but looks like these packages include the 7530 AX router…

I've had the exact same experience Kimbot. Exact same - its the constant lies from VF support that infuriates me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well the last time I was on to them they told me to restart the router and all will be resolved, I told the agent I had done all that and that I spent 15+ years in I.T. specifically working on networks and that I was on to them as a last resort, thats when I got escalated up a level and was told they were havin problems in the area and at most would be 2 days to resolve. That was on good friday I think now. Yesterday they just fobbed me off but this evening I will be very annoyed and will get a resolution one way or another.

Advertisement