Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport question

Options
  • 09-02-2024 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

To cut a long story short, we travel to the UK next week via Ryanair. We applied for renewal of our two kids passports, one was approved and one was rejected as the gard never put one name in the log boo so we had to go through the process again, fast forward two weeks and the passport update is stating estimated complettion after we finish our trip and come home.

The old passport doesnt expire until April, are we still good to travel with that or do we risk the passport office cancelling the old passport while we are away?

We can get a same day turnaround but is that just a waste of €200 or are we better doing that? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seems to me that as long as you are Irish or British citizens you actually don't need a passport at all. But Ryanair do insist on one. However according to Gov.ie your passport only has to be valid and in date for those carriers who require a passport. So on that basis the passport is in date if it expires in April surely?

Same applies if you are not Irish or British but an EU citizen, the passport is required but must be valid for the entire length of your visit to Britain. I think that covers you also if it applies.

gov - Travelling and Visiting (www.gov.ie)

Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Call the passport office or use their online chat. I'd ask if the older one is valid given you haven't received the new passport.

I would take down the name of the person you speak with and take a log of the calls. The online renewal system works well if no issues arise but if one simple issue is raised your application seems to go to the slow lane and no further updates are provided.

That's my experience anyway. We applied in August 2023 and we are still waiting on our baby's first passport. One issue was raised and we sorted it immediately but they still won't issue the passport. The service has been appalling to put it mildly. Government Departments are spending millions on innovation, design, communications and transformation but they still can't get the basics right.

Sorry for the rant, hopefully you will receive a better service than we have experienced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

My understanding from talking to a couple of ryanair staff is as long as your passport is currently valid it's fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TDs have a priority contact line for the passport office, which usually works to light a fire

I've not had to use in nearly a decade now, which means that passport is close to renewal (balls), but they at least used to be very responsive and usefully helpful on Twitter. Arranged for me to grab a passport in Molesworth Street (its Mount Street now) that had initially been set for being posted, because even with signed for postage it wasn't going to come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yes, we've contacted our local TD (senior Minister), a Senator, we lodged a customer complaint, a Freedom of Information request and GDPR request - still nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sorry but what actually is the issue?

To get Ryanair to let you on one of their planes you need to physically show them a passport, they never scan it or otherwise, so grand.

To get between Ireland and Uk you do not need a passport as an irish citizen so just show a work ID if asked. On the way to the UK its almost certain you wont be checked. On return to Ireland you can show a work ID, but realistically the passport will be grand even if cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Did you send the child's passport to the passport office as part of the renewal process. If you did, you probably have to pay for the one day turn around.

If you have the still in date passport: print off or bookmark Ryanairs terms & contidions if you get a boarding agent who doesnt know Ryanair's rules:

Ryanair requires all passengers travelling into the UK to have a valid (i.e. in date) passport for their arrival and departure dates to and from the UK (the UK Authorities do not require a minimum of 3 months passport validity), so as long as the passenger’s passport is in date for both the arrival date into the UK, and the later departure date from the UK, it will be accepted as valid for travel on Ryanair flights into the UK.

General terms & conditions

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_368204930#:~:text=2.1.1%20Photo%20ID%20accepted,from%20the%20Schengen%20member%20country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I really appreciate your reply on this and the effort made to help out, Thank you, makes total sense. Yes we still have the current in date passport and the application we sent away is still processing and isnt due for completion until a week after we come back.

Thanks to everyone who dipped in with info, really helpful, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Just posting in case anyone else has a similar question in the future.

Zero issue with the old passport, they didn't even check it going into UK. The longest actual check was coming back into Dublin through passport check so yeah, Ryanair don't care so long as it's in date so it wasn't cancelled after applying for new one.

Thanks all for the help on this. Still waiting on new passport 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Desperately seeking advice on this, please.
    Travelling to London on Sunday with our two kids. Their new passports have NOT arrived, despite weeks waiting, & probably won’t now.
    Will Ryanair accept their birth certs to be allowed travel.
    We have rang Ryanair, Dublin Airport & even the Irish Embassy in London, but it’s all very vague

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭JVince

Ryanair insist on passport for ALL passengers. - For children they can be on a parent's passport.

They will NOT accept birth cert.

Whilst legally they do not have to have this rule, their reasoning is the operate so many destinations is that it is far better to have a single strict policy than say if you are a citizen of x and travelling from y to z you have a different option to being a citizen of r.

So whilst it doesn't help you, but at least passengers know that they have this condition which you agreed to at time of booking and they do not make exceptions under any circumstances.

Advertisement