Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring's 43% Subscription increase!

Options
  • 09-02-2024 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭

No doubt like many here, now that Amazon have jacked up the price of the basic Ring sub, from £34.99 to £49.99 per year, I'm switching to locally managed doorbell!

I've had a reolink in my basket for months but this news was the last straw for me. I plan on running the cable for it over the weekend so I can be up and running quickly when it arrives. I'm already running home assistant and will integrate the new bell with that. I had been planning on a new CCTV system anyway as my ancient NVR just will not integrate with Home Assistant. Amazon/Ring can go whistle if they think I'm spending more money with them for no additional features or functions.

A question for those in the know re: CCTV and Home Assistant. Can I set up a system with an 8 port POE switch that records to my NAS? Rather than buying a new NVR? Managed via Frigate or similar in Home Assistance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

What home system will you be using? I have a monitored alarm but I am going to install CCTV and a doorbell and was considering eufy as it is local storage and not subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just reading if you want to buy yourself more time if you cancel your current subscription Ring will refund you for whatever you have left on your annual subscription within 11 days and then you can re-subscribe at current price for another 12 months which will allow you to research other options

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

RING did this in America a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My Reolink was delivered this morning. I'm waiting on a reel of CAT5e to arrive before I install it. Plan is to drill 6mm hole in the door frame, run bare end of the cable thru, then crimp on a new NIC connected and then make a nice, and more importantly neat 😉 cable run along the door frame then behind the skirting board to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is this Ring sub increase happening in Ireland?

Mine still looks to be still €39.99 billed yearly renewing in October - as below.

Haven't gotten any correspondence indicating it'll be changing either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Depends on your NAS drive, but it was a feature on a couple of mine that I never used.

That's a big hike. I pay 55 for one google camera myself. It's just handy casting it around the TV's etc. you don't get the integration on other systems the way Amazon and Google prioritise their products.

I installed my new Reolink doorbell today. Located it on the door frame and ran the CAT5e around the frame in a manner that has been thoroughly wife approved 😉 Lovely neat job around the frame and behind the skirting and through the 2nd step of my staircase. Even if I do say so myself 😁

The Mrs is up and running on the Reolink app and I'm currently getting to grips with YAML code and integration for my HA setup. Hope to eventually get up and running with AI detection integrated on the Doorbell and CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thanks for that, just cancelled and subscribed straight after and got a notification for a refund at the same time as the payment. Only got $16.68 back even though I had 6 months left, must have just entered the next month. Still saving money. Also they're charging me in $ for some reason 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

The announcement (https://support.help.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/19761521802772-Price-update-for-Ring-Protect-Basic-on-March-11-2024-GBP) seems to suggest it's only applicable to those paying in GBP or USD, so maybe if you're being billed in EUR you won't get hit this time, but I'd expect it's in the pipeline all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I have the wired ring pro doorbell.

Anyone know if I buy the Eufy wired doorbell I can use the already installed transformer from the ring doorbell?

eufy Security Wi-Fi Video Doorbell, 2K Resolution, No Monthly Fees, Local Storage, Human Detection, Wireless Chime Requires Existing Doorbell Wires and Installation Experience, 16-24 VAC, 30 VA https://amzn.eu/d/dKZTr2o

• Advertisement

If your power supply for the ring doorbell is 2 wires and capable of 19v? Then yes, the eufy will work.

A few days into using the Reolink now and I'm very happy with it. A lot of options and possibilities in setting it up. I currently have a 32gb micro SD in it to record motion captures and bell press.

Its currently a little too sensitive in reporting people at the door. The settings allow a great deal of adjustment so I'll get it sorted.

The image quality, esp of IR footage is great. I have my nighttime recording set to IR & colour rather than B&W as the level of detail in colour is far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Just wondering if this is affecting customers paying in Euro or not? I can only find articles pertaining to dollars and pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They'll have the communicate the price change to customers paying in euro and I haven't heard squat, so assume unaffected until we know otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Would anyone be able to recommend a decent wireless option

Advertisement