Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

170kmh on M50, on phone and inhaling suspected ‘laughing gas’ guess the sentence

Options
  • 09-02-2024 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Mulhall had previous motoring convictions – including careless driving and driving unaccompanied as a learner.

A dangerous driver was caught speeding along the M50 at more than 170kmh while on the phone and inhaling suspected “laughing gas” from a balloon.

Armed Support Unit gardaí intercepted Daire Mulhall (21) as he drove towards Dublin city centre in an “extraordinarily reckless” manner, a court heard.

Judge Bryan Smyth said the incident probably warranted a jail term but gave Mulhall a three-month suspended sentence.

He also banned the accused from driving for two years and fined him €300.

Mulhall, with an address at The Rise, Belgard Heights, Tallaght, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at Junction 9 on the M50 in Clondalkin on September 10, 2022.

Garda Richard Hennessy told Dublin District Court members of the ASU saw the accused heading northbound on the motorway, driving in excess of 170kmh while on the phone and “inhaling laughing gas, or some sort of gas.”

The accused pulled across several lanes of traffic while overtaking vehicles, the garda said.

When the gardaí pulled up alongside him and signalled him to stop, Mulhall appeared to be inhaling gas from a balloon, the court heard.

“It seems to be extraordinarily reckless behaviour,” Judge Smyth said.

Mulhall had previous motoring convictions – including careless driving and driving unaccompanied as a learner.

The accused worked as an apprentice in air conditioning, his solicitor Amanda Connolly said.

On the night in question, he got a call to say a friend needed to be collected in town and was coming in from Tallaght, Ms Connolly said.

Mulhall accepted what he did was “completely reckless behaviour” and an “act of stupidity," she said, asking the judge for leniency.

Judge Smyth said the case “probably warrants a custodial sentence” but given the guilty plea, he suspended the prison term for a year.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/man-21-caught-driving-over-170kmh-on-m50-while-on-phone-and-inhaling-suspected-laughing-gas/ar-BB1i1w6i

Post edited by daarmcd on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I would have given him three years in prison. Might get the message across. Actually I see He has previous convictions I see so probably not. I hope to God none of my family ever have the misfortune to come across him on the M50 driving like that.

Why did it take nearly a year and a half to come to court? I'd hold the judge personally liable if Mulhall ends up killing someone on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And the Government say they are serious about road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,876 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is your daily reminder that Irish prison capacity is at 105% occupancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Judges can't fix that, nor should they have regard to it. They should pass the appropriate and just sentence, and let the State deal with applying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Did the guards not search the car for evidence of the laughing gas or whatever it was he was they suspected him of inhaling from the balloon?

Anyway, inhaling nitrous oxide won't bade well for this dick head as it will soon kill off his few remaining brain cells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I’ve no sympathy for him or his remaining brain cells (that were probably in endangered species level to begin with), people like him tend to make everyone else’s life a misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Economics101

Why just a 3-year ban? It should have been 10 years. Maybe the law mandates too short a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i hate that haircut the grey tracksuit brigade have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The Road Safety Authority should stop moaning to the law abiding about road deaths & instead turn their focus on Judges like this .

Phones & Drugs are the two biggest reasons for road crashs/deaths but too few guards & leniant Judges allow it continue and its only getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I can never understand how judges are not held responsible if he was to go on and cause a fatal accident.

Similar to burglary/assault while on suspended sentence for burglary/assault.

In any other occupation making such a bad call would lead to serious reprimanding.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭amacca

Judge Smyth said the case “probably warrants a custodial sentence”

Then **** give it.

Previous convictions as well. I wonder will the state even be capable of enforcing the ban given and if yer man is caught disobeying what meaningless slap on the wrist will the system cook up then.

The punishments given out are only deterrents and/or consequences for relatively law abiding citizens with a brain....for the morons and general scumbags they're not even much of an inconvenience afaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They have no space in jail so these "not so serious" crimes are let go free.

He will be spinning around in a car near you soon and if caught again will say he had to for work. Will be let out again

We need a huge jail built now, or maybe just outsource jails, throw the people into them and let them work for their food :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SteM

21 years of age and he already 2 previous road convictions. How had he not been suspended before now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nah, they are only interested in squeezing the ordinary generally law abiding motorists. The easy knee jerk policy.

As for chap in OP, jail & castration to ensure he doesn't breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Someday he'll kill someone on the roads, and then it'll be thoughts and prayers with the victims, so sorry for your loss. And how we need to start taking road safety seriously in this country.

If this case doesn't warrant a custodial sentence, I don't know what does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭prunudo

What speed did the gaurds have to drive to catch someone doing 170?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 81,876 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did castration used to be a common punishment in Ireland because I don’t normally if ever hear that suggestion across the pond in the comments section of stories. But on boards it’s usually like the 3rd or 4th reply the whole time I’ve been here for scrotes like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

in this case i wouldn't worry about it , this lad looks like he will be a virgin until he can persuade his sister to "make a man of him"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Scum

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Or of he kills himself and a bunch of others it'll be boy racer convoy outside the church and a glowing eulogy about what a great lad he was altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Why just suspected of the gas/drugs? Could that not be examined for, or proven? Seems a bit daft that it’s mentioned at all

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

I am trying to work out physically how you could hold a phone up to your ear while doing a gas bag all while driving at 170kmh on the M50 of all places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Correct, however they are aware that some convicted people are turned around at prison due to lack of accommodation.

A new prison is required for the increase in population. Like the rail link to airport, it's just not good enough that no new prison has been built in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

Are these his sisters or his ma

Linda and Charlotte Mulhall are sisters from Dublin, Ireland, who killed and dismembered their mother's boyfriend,

no they cant test for or prosecute for fastgas,

it does however cause short term brain damage with each use and long term with prolonged use , so there's that ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I wouldn't imagine there's a whole lot between the ears to damage.

all the more reason he and his ilk should be confined for his protection and for the protection of the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭highpitcheric

the generational question of wtf do we do with these mad yokes.

any creative or effective solution just makes you sound like a sun reader.

any solution in line with modern rights and standards just bounces right off their thick skulls and they go out and do it again.

incarceration with no access to digital devices may work, thats a modern form of torture for anyone under a certain age. And it doesnt come off as inhumane. But we don't have the spaces it seems. Or the judges.

If multi-repeat offenders keep being seen to walk away unscathed then we're fecked. That much is certain. Examples are direly needed. This cuunt for example. He should be in the papers, in tears at a shockingly heavy sentence with poor ma and da pleading about a disproportionate judgement. For all scrotes to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The fat f@ck deserves to be locked away forever if only to save him from his own stupidity.

The law is truly an ass.

Advertisement