Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 7 series 2018 2.0 Petrol Plug in Hybrid v 3ltr Diesel

Options
  • 09-02-2024 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am thinking about changing to a BMW 7. Since Covid I am working from home so 70% of my driving is school drop off and collection around town (in Wicklow)

I travel to the office once a week 115 km each way, with a once-a-month journey to the west of Ireland 290km each way. I know Diesel is unsuitable for my daily short journeys but would petrol be a disaster cost-wise on these long journeys, especially lugging this big car and battery.

I would welcome some real-world advice

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭User1998

Diesel is clearly the best option for you. You have a round trip of 230km once a week and a 580km round trip once a month. Thats 1,500km a month of motorway driving. Perfect conditions for a diesel.

Yet you say that 70% of your driving is school drops off and collection around Wicklow town? That’s completely inaccurate in terms of kilometres driven, the school drop offs are more like 10% of your driving? Perfectly fine for a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's negligible EV range in that first gen 740e, you almost need to look at it like a non phev unless youre doing 10km only.

I'd say the 740e would be nicer to drive in town and cost less to drive there, but would cost a lot more on the longer trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The hybrid might be the better investment, and a nicer drive on those shorter trips. Consider the 530e as well, you'd get a one a few years newer for the price of a 2018 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Thanks for feedback, you’re completely correct on a total Millage basis , the 70% relates to the number of journeys I do , less than 3km , school , kid’s activities, shops. I’ve had dpf issue in the past as car never never gets up to temp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Whats the electric consumption?

I take the 6.2 L is the average plus what ever electric you use?

Whats the consumption when you don't charge it?

I am a big fan of phevs and was actually thinking of importing a 7 series from japan, 15k for a 2018 @ auction, plus plus other stuff around 30 k here

The diesel version, gives around 7l per 100km, https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/7-series-2016/730d

For a phev to work you need to do some driving in EV mode to bring the petrol average up, lugging the battery around is nonsense the plug in is only 25 kg more than the diesel.

How much local driving do you do in km?

If I could get answers from both of you, I could help myself and the OP with the economics of it.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Is a 2.0 litre petrol in a 7 series not an awful compromise (granted there's addition HP from the motor). That would put me off one, the same era Merc S Phev has a 3.0 litre petrol which is a lot more suitable for a prestige car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

745e has a 3.0 litre engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback

Advertisement