Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPR proof requirements when selling

Options
  • 09-02-2024 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have a single property that I owned for 10 years. When I bought the house I lived there for 2 years then moved back to my parents and rented it to some friends for 5 years, unofficially. The last 3 years I've officially rented out the house to a new tenant and registered with ptrb.

For CGT when selling can i class this as my ppr for 7 years and 3 years rental? How does revenue define ppr and what proof do they look for? I don't own any other properties.

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

Get a tax advisor/accountant to review.

There is only one circumstance where the property has been rented out and you could simultaneously claim PPR relief for the period, but it needs to be professionally assessed.

If you are asking about whether you would get caught deliberately filing a false return, Revenue do test some of these claims and there is no time limits for Revenue to catch you. The penalties can be as high as 100% and the interest circa 8% pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

are you asking can you commit tax fraud on top of the already existing tax fraud ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

When I was selling my apt 3 years ago I had to get the following

Proof of property tax being paid

Proof of NPPR charge being paid - apt rented out for 3 years

Proof of myself maintaining the property - it was vacant for 2 years - had to get meter readings from the ESB and historical bills to show I was paying them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You cannot ask for assistance to commit fraud

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement