Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I please ask for your thoughts

Options
  • 08-02-2024 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Help please

I am a provisional driver (I was wrongly driving without another driver) which I accept fault with. I was driving to collect my sis because my dad has been unwell and couldn't collect her. I got stopped by the guards who said they saw me take out my phone. I can hand on heart assure you I did not take out my phone, the guard stopped me and said I had my phone out, I assured him I didn't. He kept telling me I was being dishonest with him. I told him I had never been in trouble before (which I genuinely hadn't been) he told me he would look up if I ever got a ticket (which thankfully I never did) but will he also check about my licence and lack of a driver. I'm so worried, I only did it because my dad was sick and she was in the cold and wet! I'm terrified now 😭

Comments

OP you are at worst getting two FPN for driving whilst unaccompanied & driving using a phone.

If you do and you you want to appeal the using phone don’t pay the fine and have your day in court.

I believe the penalty for the aforementioned driving unaccompanied is €160 and 2 penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did they let you continue driving? I thought they would sieze the car from an unaccompanied driver AND prosecute the owner for allowing it to happen?

They can seize the car but doesn’t mean they will.

That is correct however they can also fine the owner of the vehicle (if not the learner) up to €1,000. Again that would be at the discretion of the Garda or likely their superior.

edit; ah looks like the garda did not request to see the licence actually, which is strange, or they asked and the OP didn’t have it with them.

In that case OP you really only have to worry about whether or not you will receive a FCN re mobile phone and if you wish to appeal it then don’t pay and let the court summons arrive.

If I were you I’d probably just pay it as not to land yourself further in it. The Garda will give evidence that says you were driving alone and the judge may discover you are a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pickeldickle

They let me continue because he waß more focused on the idea that he thought he caught me with the phone out but it really wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭brian_t

Did the OP have L Plates on their car when the Garda stopped them.

They seem to imply that the garda wasn't aware at the time that they were a provisional driver.

"but will he also check about my licence and lack of a driver."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know you're not insured to drive unaccompanied?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You were stopped by a Garda for an offence and they didn't look for your licence?

Seems very strange.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭JVince

Another thread that is almost certainly the regular troll.

Don't feed it

Advertisement