Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C-Class Touchscreen

Options
  • 08-02-2024 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭

The C-Class has an awful looking touchscreen with a massive bezel/border.

Has anyone changed them or know much about what they are like to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I know the one you mean but is it even touchscreen or is there a controller device in car for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭User1998

No its not a touch screen. You can replace it for a larger android unit with no bezels but they are expensive and slow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks. Window shipping at minute. Nice car, but that screen looks crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Its the one thing that will age a car interior very quickly these days. I had an A6 2014 which was a beautiful car inside but the screen was terrible looking, graphics were poor and screen was small I upgraded it to an android unit and it was much better looking but it was fiddly, an aftermarket chinese yoke, I wouldnt recommend but there are probably some better ones out there.

I was in a BMW X5 171 recently and the screen in that looked very dated too, way below what you get in entry level cars now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

I have changed on my CLS 3 years ago. Good size, I think 10 inch, neat bezel, it is android and it is touchscreen but controllable also by original rotary dial thingy. It came with lots of extras, like aps I never use, its own satnav (IGO primo), but you can use google maps or waze too if you are ok with just a map without live traffic (you need GSM functionality on unit for mobile data if you want to). I don't use any of it, only use apple car play. Unit has a build in functionality that links directly with my iphone so satnav and music comes from apple carplay + I fully can operate everything from the screen with my phone being in my pocket.

They are not slow as one poster mentioned here. Well, some can be, depends what you buy and how good processor it comes equipped with. Mine comes with Snapdragon of 3 yo vintage and is still going strong. it also depends what you use for. I never use it for watch Youtube but on one road trip was streaming movies with no problem.

The biggest gimmicks for these is installation complexity, you have to buy correct version to match you mercedes NG system version. Some units don't offer linking to cars sound system via AUX and some mercs don't offer AUX. Bluetooth streaming quality on some units can be hit and miss. Unit on my merc is linked to sound via AUX, sound quality is good.

Another issue, at least on mine is internal storage. Which is God knows what size. It says X amount of GBs but from some reason I can install no more than 5 average sized apps and then tells I have no space left. Definitely not matching on what it displays as available. It has an option to store your music and files on SD card. Since I only use apple carplay none of the above really bothers me much.

Bought mine on Aliexpress from seller called Navifly and installed myself. Paid around 400 euros all together I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement