Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork shop to buy knives

Options
  • 08-02-2024 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi all,

im not a chef but an enthusiastic home cook. Worked as a commis for a bit but it wasn’t for me.

im from dublin and live in cork. Can anyone tell me a good shop in cork to shop for knives that’s not hickeys? Everyone I’ve asked sends me there.

many thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I got a block of Wusthof knives in BT for a decent price several years back. Think they had Global and others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Is there a home store and more? Usually very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pegdrums

Never think of BT cheers. Not great choice in home store at the moment.

Debenhams would have been my go to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Brennan's. In Wilton. If they're still there.

And I second BT. We've an excellent carving knife from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Actually, TK Maxx have a lot of knives too.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Brennan’s still seems to be there, website is at least.

tk maxx, I’ll have a gander next time I’m passing, good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

nisbets are out near the blarney nct centre, bought stuff online before, havent actually been to the store but says they have a knife display.

that brennans shop - i'd give them a ring to check, im sure someone told me they shut down a while back. (not the oliver plunkett one, i remember that, the one in wilton, i might be misremembering it) great shop if its still there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Nisbets are great. I like to handle a knife before I buy, but their mail order is really efficient.

I buy individual knives rather than a set as I pick and choose depending on the function.

Victorinox small curved knives are perfect for peeling and paring.

I've recommended them to lots of people and would have given as gifts but some people are remarkably superstitious about accepting a knife s a gift.

Will check out nisbets at some point. It would be nice to be able to hold a knife before buying alright.

and yea I’m looking to buy individually opposed to a set. I don’t need a lot just one or two good knives.

started down the rabbit hole of Japanese knives the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You would a lotto win to afford some of the Japanese knives. Or be very young and get many years use. I fail on both counts.

I have some really old steel sabatier knives which are ground to almost nothing. Need to keep rust free also. Modern sabatier are far from the standard on the originals.

• Advertisement

i only learned yesterday that the name sabatier can be used by anyone. An original genuine sabatier like that is something special.

ive seen some Japanese style knives with in between western knives and true Japanese knives for ok money. They aren’t hand forged and sharpened Damascus or anything but would still give the feel of a Japanese knife. But yea the true jobs are mad money. But the way I see it is, my neighbour doesn’t need a Mercedes but spends the extra cause he likes the experience and feel of driving it. My Dacia does everything it can do just doesn’t give the same experience. With that view spending a a little extra on something you’ll use everyday that brings you joy is justifiable. Budget allowing of course!

Advertisement