Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My husband died

Options
  • 08-02-2024 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Two weeks ago my husband passed away- he was ill for sometime but his passing was still a shock for him and I. He was my touchstone. The other half of me. The loss is a physical pain x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Sorry for your loss. With a terminal illness in our home I can only hope you enjoyed plenty of good times together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I’m so sorry for your loss and pain. It does feel that you have had half of yourself torn away.

I can only give you a bit of advice but the most important thing now is to grieve. The old custom of wearing black for a year was actually not a bad idea as it reminds people you are in mourning. I think nowadays you are expected to move on quickly and few people have patience to allow you mourn.

Be kind to yourself, take things easy and don’t make any major decisions for at least twelve months.

Emotionally you are wounded and need time to come to terms with your loss and your new situation. Remember the good times and don’t be afraid to wallow in sadness and self pity.

Be prepared to be pitied, ignored and avoided. Cherish your real friends and accept their company when you feel able.

It’s almost ten years since my husband died and I’ve accepted it and moved to a new type of living but the sadness of his not being here is still sometimes almost unbearable.

Everyone says the first birthday, anniversary, Christmas etc. is the worst but I found the second harder as I realised this is how it was going to be for my future.

It is important to delay any big changes like moving or downsizing for a few years until you are sure of your future plans.

Luckily I was financially secure enough not to worry, and I hope you can be free from money worries for at least a while.

I hope you find the strength to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm sorry for your loss.

Just grieve, give yourself at least 12 months. Everything and everyone else can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jamessmith0901

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a loved one is incredibly tough, especially someone who meant so much to you. Take all the time you need to grieve, and know that you're not alone. Sending you strength and comfort during this difficult time. ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My Condolences

Just take each day as it comes, you won't stop grieving over night but time heals some bit, maybe speak to a counsellor, join a group

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Pretzill, I am sorry for your loss. There are no words that anyone can say, or nothing anyone can do to ease your pain. But be aware that those who love you will want to do whatever they can for you. They will feel helpless to be able to do anything, but they will be there for you. Even to just sit in silence if that's what you need. Don't be afraid to call on people for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thank you all, I appreciate it x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

It has been said that grief is love with no place to go.

Reading what you wrote makes me sad. I know that if I died tomorrow my wife would not care or feel the same way you do.

Try to remember the good times.

Advertisement