Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT/VAT - Father gifting car from NI

Options
  • 07-02-2024 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi folks,

For the life of me I cannot work out if VAT is chargeable in my situation. VRT is roughly 7.5K.

Father has a car. 2020 reg. Important bit - car was first registered in GB. It was then purchased by a dealer in the north in December 2021 and my father bought it then. It's been registered and used in the north since December 2021.

Revenue states "A vehicle that has previously been in use in NI can be registered for Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) in the State, without liability to additional Customs duties and import Value-Added Tax (VAT). Proof will be required that the vehicle has been in private ownership for a reasonable period of time."

Sounds good, it's previously been in use in NI, logbook states when it was moved to the North, MOT certs etc.

Also from Revenue:" Registering vehicles bought by NI dealers before 01 May 2023 and sold before 01 May 2024

Where a vehicle has been purchased in GB by an NI dealer and declared to Customs on import into NI prior to 01 May 2023, there will remain a liability to VAT on import into the State. VAT will apply at the standard rate (currently 23%) and must be discharged before the vehicle can be registered."

Which also fits.

My father wants to gift me the car (due to high VRT charge) but is it advisable to pay him something?

Comments

Advertisement