Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best 16bit racing games?

Options
  • 06-02-2024 11:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not looking for lists, but your favourite racing titles from the 16bit generation.

This comes up because I was looking for a decent F1 game on the MD, aside from Virtua Racing, and I came across Nigel Mansell on the system, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Feels like Top Gear X Formula 1!

And I like the polygonal track scenery and the inclines in the track

How about you all?

What whets your racing whistle on the 16bit systems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not straight up racing, but I grew up with Road Rash II so that always hits me in the nostalgia feels when I stick it on for a bash. Got lots and lots of play time that one.

Also like most other Megadrive owners back in the day, I had Mega Games 3 which had Super Monaco GP. Probably pants now, I haven't played it in years but it sure did get a lot of play time back then too.

Interestingly, I didn't play Mario Kart when it came out, not even once. Had some relatives with Super Nintendos but for whatever reason, nobody bought it. Didn't play it for the first time till emulators in the very late 90s/early 2000s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Domarks F1 games on the megadrive are similar but also quite better.

You looking for realistic racers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

F-Zero on the Super Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Formula 1 Grand Prix by Geoff Crammond on the Amiga felt as realistic as it got in early 90's, not sure how it has aged but great memories of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anything, whatever floated boats back in the day or even now.

I can play them all via emulation but I'll probably pick suggested ones up and they don't appear to be expensive to collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Stunt Car Racer by the aforementioned Geoff Crammond was my favourite 16 bit car game (racer might be pushing it with only one opponent). It was a work of art on 8 bit too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Lotus II and III on the Amiga, still play them to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Rock N' Roll Racing. Loads of fun and great soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Super Skidmarks on the Amiga, cracker of a game. Unsure if Super Skidmarks 2 was released on the 16bit Amiga, there was a caravan version of that one. A series of games well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

True, it possibly shouldn't have worked on 8 bit machines but played it on the C64 at the time and was great game, tried to play it again recently and didn't realise how difficult it was!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played it on the Spectrum 48k!

And it was surprisingly good there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Another Vote for Rock N Roll racing , loved that game. Mario Kart as well on the Super Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

James, slams into first!

Agreed great game. Never played the MD version, so can only vouch for the Snes version. The MSU1 version is amazing, but the original is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

on the nigel mansells game above ,i have the snes version and its a lot different more like super monaco gp than what is above. still an ok game but i thinkid prefer the md version

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

super mario kart all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

micro machines 2 with the F U to Sega and the extra ports on top of the cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Super Hang-on. Street Racer was fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have fond memories of Revs on the BBC MICRO when back in secondary school.

It was the only game we had on it, and there was a daily battle during lunch breaks to try to beat the record time for a lap.

I proudly held it for a few days. Ah, good times.

Advertisement